Monday, 16 January 2017

UNHINGED (Splintered #2) - by A. G. Howard

Unhinged - A. G. Howard
Year Published: 2014 - by Amulet Books.
Genres: Young adult / retelling / romance / urban fantasy
Pages: 387.
Source: Bought.

Alyssa Gardner has been down the rabbit hole and faced the bandersnatch. She saved the life of Jeb, the guy she loves, and escaped the machinations of the disturbingly seductive Morpheus and the vindictive Queen Red. Now all she has to do is graduate high school and make it through prom so she can attend the prestigious art school in London she's always dreamed of. That would be easier without her mother, freshly released from an asylum, acting overly protective and suspicious. And it would be much simpler if the mysterious Morpheus didn’t show up for school one day to tempt her with another dangerous quest in the dark, challenging Wonderland—where she (partly) belongs. As prom and graduation creep closer, Alyssa juggles Morpheus’s unsettling presence in her real world with trying to tell Jeb the truth about a past he’s forgotten. Glimpses of Wonderland start to bleed through her art and into her world in very disturbing ways, and Morpheus warns that Queen Red won’t be far behind. If Alyssa stays in the human realm, she could endanger Jeb, her parents, and everyone she loves. But if she steps through the rabbit hole again, she'll face a deadly battle that could cost more than just her head.


The writing. Can we please spend a thousand minutes thinking about Howard's writing?!
Gosh, it's magnificent. Vivid, original, sensual, and spectacularly evocative. Every scene was so beautifully painted, and emotion oozed from the pages in an almost tangible syrup.
The atmosphere was even better than Splintered. It was darker, richer, chiller, more horrifying, and gloriously more seductive.

The character arcs were superbly woven and three-dimensional.  Morpheus was a lot more fully realised, and there was a notable change in Alyssa. I also loved the growth of Alyssa and Morpheus's relationship; their arc was excellent. Every character underwent rich development, and I particularly loved seeing how Alyssa became more and more "unhinged" as the story went on.

I loved the climatic ending. It clenched my heart up in its chilling fist, and I am taut with anticipation for what will happen in the next book.  

The stakes were raised to a magnificent crescendo. Although a bit confusing at times, more and more backstory and information were revealed, and it was all so intelligently and imaginatively done.  

What I Didn't Like So Much:

- Jeb was still a cow. He's still far too controlling and possessive, and his relationship with Alyssa was way too touchy.
- There wasn't much of a plot. Don't get me wrong, it was still a strong story, but it wasn't as active and jam-packed as Splintered was.
- The whole Wonderland "history" and aspects of Alyssa's situation and magic, etc, did get very confusing at times.  



Unhinged is a dark, hypnotic sequel that excels in character development and atmosphere.  Fans of Splintered will relish another visit to Howard's wickedly imaginative world, and with the stakes even higher, I personally can't wait to read the final book...... 




8 comments:

  1. I've had this series on my TBR for ages, and it sounds so wonderful and creative! I hope to make time to read it someday lol. Great review!

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay then you must read it! It definitely is that :) Hope you get to read it soon!
      Thanks :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't started this series yet, but I really want to! And your review has made it sound even more fantastic. I kind of keep bumping this back for other books on my TBR, but I'll have to finally get to it this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should, it's so good :) Yay, I'm so glad!
      Lol, I hope you get to it soon! Have a lovely week Kristen :)

      Delete
  3. I'll be starting Splintered soon and your review intrigues me so much!! Also I love the covers so much <3 I'm glad you liked it despite it not being as awesome as Splintered!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH MY WORD YES YES YES!! I hope you LOVE it and I can't wait to see your review!
      Oh YES, the covers are beyond GORGEOUS <3
      Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I love the covers of these books and I'm so glad that you're enjoying them so much. Your reviews are making me want to turn my TBR upside down AGAIN but with Uma's read-a-thon I can't afford to at the moment! Eep!

    Hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so beautiful :) Thank you! Haha sorry ;)
      Oooh cool! enjoy the Read-A-Thon - I really wanted to participate but it's hard for me to get my hands on diverse books, so I couldn't do it :(
      Hope you manage to start the Splintered series sometime this year! Lol

      I am, thanks! I hope you are too?! <3

      Delete

Seriously, I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Thank you Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)