Tuesday, 21 February 2017

THE YEAR I MET YOU - by Cecelia Ahern

The Year I Met You - Cecelia Ahern
Year Published: 2014 - by Harper Collins
Genres: Fiction / chick lit / romance / contemporary
Pages: 432.
Source: Library.

Jasmine loves two things: her sister and her work. And when her work is taken away she has no idea who she is. Matt loves two things: his family and the booze. Without them, he hits rock bottom. One New Year’s Eve, two people’s paths collide. Both have time on their hands; both are at a crossroads. But as the year unfolds, through moonlit nights and suburban days, an unlikely friendship slowly starts to blossom. Sometimes you have to stop still in order to move on…

I absolutely love Cecelia Ahern's books. She's one of my favourite authors. So I am utterly devastated and disappointed to have to write this negative review of a book I had high expectations for and yet fell shockingly short.
*sighs* Here we go.


I had high hopes for The Year I Met You. I adore the names Jasmine and Matt - the names alone have chemistry - and the cover of the book is beautiful.
I had high hopes.

But it was boring. Painfully, agonisingly boring. The info dumps that are a regularity in all of Ahern's novels were taken to a whole new level in this book, and I couldn't just overlook them because I was enjoying the story so much - as I usually find myself doing with Ahern's books. In this case, I wasn't enjoying the story; and so the info dumps were an added disappointment.
It dragged on and on with a threadbare plot and infuriating pacing. It was so slow.

I didn't like the characters. Matt's very nature (playboy, drunkard, failed husband, unstable) was a turn-off, no matter how redeemable he became. Jasmine was far too self-righteous, self-absorbed, and introspective. Her internal monologue (the story is narrated by her) was sluggish and heavy.

But it wasn't all bad, thankfully. The idea was unique and original, and the theme was a lot deeper and more thought-provoking than any of the ones in Ahern's previous books.
The characterisation was excellent, and the characters came across with vivid, three dimensional personalities (no matter how unlikable).

The story did improve as it went along (although it wasn't enough to redeem the entire book) and there were some trademark Ahern humorous moments.



The Year I Met You wasn't all bad, but its positives did nothing to redeem the slow, threadbare plot and annoying characters. If you want to read Ahern, I recommend P.S. I Love You or How To Fall In Love. Don't start with this book.





12 comments:

  1. We cannot be lucky with every book... But I hope you'll still read this writer's books if you loved her work so much so far. Maybe this book was just a glitch in the system :)

    Dear Amy, I'd like to let you know that I placed a link to your blog on my site, because I visit your little corner frequently and I'd like others to know that.

    Have a lovely day!

    Ronnie @ Paradise Found

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. And thanks, that's so sweet to say :)

      That's so kind of you, thank you! <3 I'm so glad you like stopping by :)

      Thanks, you too!

      Delete
  2. Sorry this didn't work out for you :( I swear I've read a book by this author before but I can remember when. I do enjoy a good romance from time to time, but this doesn't seem like my style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily :)
      Oh that's interesting! I've most of her books so far, but yeah, I don't recommend this one. It was really disappointing :(
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I haven't read anything by Cecelia Ahern is quite a while. To be honest, both main characters sound rather insufferable. And it's nearly impossible for me to connect with a story and feel invested with unlikable characters, even if there is growth/redemption. Sorry this one was kind of a dud!

    Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely were insufferable! Yeah, very true.
      I highly recommend her other books, though - you should read them :) Overall, I think she's a brilliant storyteller.
      Thanks :) Hope you're having a lovely week, Tanya!

      Delete
  4. It's always heartbreaking when a book you look forward to disappoints you like this. Even though it didn't redeem the book, I'm so glad you found something good in the theme and characterization. I've never read this author, but I so appreciate your insight and letting me know what books I do need to read when I read her work. Wonderful review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right :(
      Yeah that was a mild positive, thank goodness.
      Aww thanks :) I hope you do pick up one of her books soon - one of the good ones - because they really are worth it.
      Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Ahern is also one of my favourite authors, and I recall feeling pretty let down by this particular title also - one of her duds for sure, which is a shame when typically she writes such magical stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I'm so glad to meet a fellow fan!
      Yeah, it's definitely a shame :(
      Hope you're having a lovely week, Jade.

      Delete
  6. Oh no :( Another read you didn't really like. It's especially saddening when it's an author whose books you usually like. I haven't read anything by her before, but I do own one of her books which isn't this one. I think it's called The Book of Tomorrow? It's just a shame that it is so info-dumpy. And as a character driven reader I understand hw hard it can be to enjoy a book when you don't like the characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! Urgh, it was disappointing :(
      Oh yes I loved that one of hers! Have you read it yet? I loved it:)
      So true.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Seriously, I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Thank you Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)