Friday, 12 May 2017

THE LOST KNIGHT (The Lost Knight #1) - by Candy Atkins

THE LOST KNIGHT - Candy Atkins.
Published: 2016 - by Monster Publishing.
Pages: 302.
Genres: Middle grade / fantasy
Source: Thank you so much to the author for sending me this book in exchange for an honest review!

How am I supposed to save the world when I'm not strong, not brave, not smart, and not particularly good at most things? I ran away from home the day after my thirteenth birthday when Auntie and her weird friend attacked me. Now I'm on the run with the Grim Reaper and a scary soldier. And I'm no longer on Earth. They were expecting me to be a Knight. The savior that's supposed to stop a war and prevent the invasion to Earth. But I'm not. They grabbed the wrong girl. I just don’t know how to tell them.



I never read middle grade books. YA and Adult are my thing, and yet I am so immensely glad I got to read this honey because it is amazing.
I knew about Candy Atkins for a long time and finally I decided to check out her series on Goodreads. I did, the premise sounded fascinating, and so I requested it. And I got accepted!


Where to even start?! This is the kind of book that reaffirms the magic, the fantasy, the dreaming, of reading itself. It's the kind of book that makes you happy to be alive. The kind that makes you laugh and want to dance because you're giddy with satisfaction.

The plot is simple: Agatha learns she's a Knight - the last of her kind and thus destined to save her people and earth - and must travel with two "mentors" who take her to her homeland - an alternative earth - to begin training for the task ahead. The story is about her journey - internally as much as externally - and it's an overwhelming ride of emotions and pure fun.

The story is fascinating and magical. It's unpredictable, cute, lovable, weird, wacky and so, so full of heart. Not once was I bored, and it's entertaining, consuming, and feel-good in a profound way. It's an abstract, beautiful story, with some wonderful laugh-out-loud moments and a wholesome grounding of good morals and youthful innocence; but certainly not without intelligence.

The scenes are gorgeous. The language is simple, never flowery, but so strong and realistic and vibrant. Sometimes it's hard to see where the characters are and I personally struggled to place certain scenes, but this was only an issue at the beginning. As soon as Agatha's journey begins, the scenes become more grounded and structured.
I particularly loved that one scene where Agatha and the guys are walking on the ocean. And the one where they're in that cave where whatever you think comes to life. Those scenes are so beautiful and so imaginative; I soaked them up.

Maybe I'm just too used to reading YA or Adult, but I found this story so refreshing and beautiful in terms of it lacking innuendos, major violence, etc. It was a nice "breather" for me.


The characters are fantastic. Jonah is just how a mentor should be: kind, capable, protective, warm, and sensible. He's so sweet with Agatha, and I loved how he he''s a sort of father figure for her.
Dathid is awesome. I loved him, and I loved his relationship arc with Agatha: she's initially scared of him, but then comes to realise he's just quieter and more solemn than Jonah. I loved watching them slowly come to accept each other's personality.
There's no romance in this book. Agatha's thirteen, her mentors are twenty-year-olds, and the focus is on friendship. I loved that. Agatha grew up in a horrible home and never knew her parents, and so to see her befriend Jonah and Dathid and grow closer to them was beautiful. This book is many wonderful things, but the friendships made for some truly poetic scenes and heartfelt character development.
Agatha is such an amazing heroine; truly unique and relatable and an underdog in every way. I loved being inside her head and seeing the world through her eyes.
Atkins also makes some extraordinarily relatable and acute observations about people, relationships, and experiences/situations through her heroine's eyes - all completely natural of a girl Agatha's age. Agatha's thirteen, she feels thirteen, and she acts just like a young girl in her situation would act. There's no ego there, and there's no fluff.
I also loved loved how Atkins avoided the whole "I'm the Chosen One and I don't want to be but my head swells anyway" cliche. Agatha is extremely reluctant to be the hero (although in this first book of the series she doesn't really get to do much heroing yet) but she's never martyr-ish and never pretends to be modest. She has such low self-esteem, and yet there's nothing eye-roll worthy about it. She's an everyday girl and she genuinely sees herself like that. She's completely humble and just normal. She's real.
BUT. She isn't a Mary-Sue. She's a flawed girl with a lot of learn, and yet she is learning. Which brings me too...
Agatha's character arc is excellent. She grows so much throughout the course of the novel and realistically - deeply - changes and learns. She's so dynamic and down-to-earth, and the morals she learns are just as important for us who are reading. Agatha's struggles, her lessons, her low-self-esteem and pathetic feelings of self-worth, spoke to me. This is a story for the underdog, the person who feels alone and unloved and afraid, and for anyone who's ever felt small and insignificant. I think Atkins handles that brilliantly. I came away feeling inspired, encouraged, and brave.


The Lost Knight isn't just a madly entertaining and beautifully imaginative adventure, it's a story with so much heart and so much spirit. Agatha is one of the most memorable, inspiring, and relatable heroines I have ever read about, and I can't wait to read the next book and see where she goes from here. 
Read this book!!

8 comments:

  1. Ooh, I love MG books so would be really interested to read this one. I never heard of either this book or the author before but I'm loving the sound of this story :) The cover is also really pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, it's really good! It's a truly lovely story :)
      It is!
      Thanks for stopping by, Sarah :)

      Delete
  2. Aaaahhh I have not read an MG in too long! I've been trying to find one, because, as you said, it's great to read books sometimes that don't have violence or any of that stuff. I think I'm adding this on my Goodreads. :D

    Great review <3

    audrey caylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! Yeah it is.
      I think you'll love this one!

      Thanks :) <3

      Delete
  3. YAY, I'm so glad this book did not disappoint! I've not read an MG book in a really long time, but I always loved the fantasy ones. You may be reading too much YA/adult but MG is a great palette cleanser! And enjoyable in general. I'm glad the heroine isn't a Mary Sue, that would irk me so much. I hope you enjoy the rest of this series, Amy!

    Have a wonderful weekend. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alyssa!
      It is! Yeah I was relieved about that :)
      Thanks!

      Thanks, you too :)

      Delete
  4. I'm in love with the cover!! And so glad you loved it! I could definitely do with a middle-grade book right now :) I think the last MG book I read was Percy Jackson? And yay for wonderful heroines!! Great review Amy <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is unique! Thanks Uma!
      I definitely think you'll like this one :)
      Thanks!! <33

      Delete

Seriously, I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Thank you Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)