Friday, 2 June 2017

The Blog Squad: A Blogger Collaboration - Part 12


We are a group of three book bloggers situated on different continents but brought together by our love for books and a penchant for talking about them. We’ve joined our forces to create a collaborative series of posts about book blogging and we hope you’ll enjoy the discussions. 

 A MAGICAL WORLD OF WORDS - AmyNikita 
 BOOKS.BAGS.BURGERS - Uma K 
 BOOK REVIEWS BY DI - Di Hewlett


Where do you get the books that you review on your blog? 


I get my books from a fairly wide range of sources. I’ve been lucky enough to receive books from authors and publishers and I try to balance those alongside books off my own TBR which is generally a mix of purchased books, library books and/or borrowed from a friend. 

 Obviously it's easy to get caught up in requesting ARCs and this can mean you're more often reviewing books specifically received for review, but I think a balance is important.



So I went and made a quick analysis of the books I’ve reviewed so far and I see that most of them are ones I obtained from publishers and authors (either physical books or eBooks). This also includes e-Galleys I get through NetGalley. I’m really thankful to the authors and publishers who send me books for review! 

 While I buy a whole lot of books, most of my ‘bought’ collection was read by me before I started blogging. I hope to review such books too in the near future. 

 I rarely get books from my local library as they aren’t exactly organized and never update their collection.

Aside from your blog, do you discuss books in person or online? 


I use Goodreads which is where I where I first began chatting about books online and where I still go often although not as much now that I have a blog. There’s some really great groups there and many online book clubs that you can join - from classics to YA Fantasy to Contemporary, Historical Fiction - it’s all there! 

 I also visit a lot of other book blogs and I love opening discussions on books that I've recently read and need to talk about or debate. Other bloggers are (obviously) just fantastic at talking about books.

I'm also lucky enough to have a couple of real life friends that enjoy similar books to me so I definitely engage them in bookish discussions often and force my opinion and books that THEY MUST READ on them. Ha ha. If you're reading this, you know who you are and I love you!



I’d have to say I mostly discuss books online. Two other places other than my blog where have bookish conversations are Goodreads and Instagram. (My Goodreads and Bookstagram. I’d love to interact with you booklovers there too!) I love Goodreads for it’s wonderful reviews and awesome groups. As for bookstagram, you know what they say? - Pictures speak a thousand words! That is true! Many of my best online friends are my bookstagram friends with whom I have the most wonderful bookish conversations! And of course, I also visit so many other blogs and enjoy meeting and talking to more booklovers on there!

 I relatively discuss less about books in person but I do have a couple of wonderful friends who love books with whom I can chatter about books a LOT! I’m really thankful for these guys, as without them, I’d probably have gone crazy a long time ago :P


Have you done buddy reads before? How did they work? 


I was lucky enough to recently do a buddy read of the Six of Crows series with Amy, my fellow collab blogger, and I thoroughly enjoyed our time doing this. 

 We didn't have a super structured buddy reading process - we just agreed to which position we would read up to each day and then made a point to chat about it as soon as both of us had finished and then set the next goal, which, depending on the day and our obligations ranged from 3 chapters to about 10. 

Thankfully Amy was completely able to work around the fact that I was in Australia and the time difference was hectic (eight hours) and we managed to complete both books quickly. For our reviews we posted simultaneously on our own blogs just mentioning the buddy reads and linking to each other. 

I've also done buddy reads in real life and what worked best for my particular buddy and I at the time was to set a goal per week and then we would meet up for coffee and bookish chats on the weekends. In this way it takes a bit longer to read the book, but there's an added dimension of actually seeing the other person and both of us talking animatedly about what we had read that week. 

For those reviews we actually wrote/are writing them together and have a bit of a back and forth discussion featured at the end of the review.


OH YES! I’ve done buddy reads with my online friends! I buddy read ToG series and Cinder with Jan @ Book reviews by Jan and The Dream Thieves with Prabhleen @ Booksarelife987. But the time when Jan and I decided to buddy read the rest of The Lunar Chronicles, it didn’t quite work out due to my erratic schedule of late and when me and Prabhleen decided to buddy read Blue Lily, Lily Blue, we had to discontinue as she had exams and other schoolwork. But I had so much fun with the buddy reads and time zones weren’t a problems as we all live in India! We would fix up a particular number of chapters for the day and discuss them in the evening! 

I’ve never done buddy reads with anyone I meet in person but I think it could be rather awesome. As Di says, having animated discussions about books face to face would be absolutely awesome!


Come check out my answers over at their collab posts!: 




 We hope you’ve enjoyed Part 12 in our series of discussion posts! Please talk to us and let us know YOUR answers below. What do you think of our responses? If you have any specific questions you’d like us to address in the future, please let us know in the comments section below. Stay tuned for next week’s questions!

10 comments:

  1. Goodreads is awesome but I need to use it more. By the time I update the blog and maybe Twitter (lol) I never seem to make time for GR... although I am trying to be better. And I mostly discuss books online, I do have RL friends who like the same kinds of things but we live far apart, so we don't talk much. Good thing for the blogosphere!!

    Great post you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same. It is a brilliant website :)
      Oh shame, sorry about that! It sucks when friends live far away :(
      Haha true!

      Thanks so much, Greg :)

      Delete
  2. Well done ladies! Another amazing post by The Blog Squad! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice topics this week! I get most of my books from my local library. We have a really good county system, so even if my particular library doesn't have a book, they can get it from one of the other branches. I'm trying to spend less money on books, so this is really helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela!
      Oh that's awesome you're able to do that! I wish mine was that good :(
      True!

      Thanks for the comment <3

      Delete
  4. Woohoo, already part 12, way to go ladies!
    I tend to buy most of my books myself (or sometimes receive them as a gift 'cause everybody knows that's what I like most haha). I don't really work with ARCs a lot, just because I'm a huge mood reader and the pressure to read and review is just too much for me sometimes *oops*
    And I don't really have access to libraries with big selections so that's why I end up buying most (but I'm really trying to limit myself as I still have a lot of unread books on my shelf which I want to get to first.)
    Other than my blog, I pretty much only use Goodreads. I don't really talk about books in real life as none of my friends really read (at least, not the same type of books or amount of books as me)
    And I have never buddy read a book before, but I would really love to give it a try because it sounds like a lot of fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lindsey!
      Ooooh nice, I wish my family and friends did that, lol ;)
      I'm totally the same with buying and getting from libraries. It's so annoying when the selection is poor :(
      Same. Thank goodness for the blogosphere, right?!
      It is!
      Thanks for the comment! <3

      Delete
  5. PART TWELVE?! That's amazing!

    Buddy reads are the best. It's really cool being able to flail about the same characters, chapter, etc. with a person the same time as you.

    - andrea at a surge of thunder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea, we're shocked too!

      Right?! It's so awesome!

      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)