Tuesday, 13 June 2017

THE FOURTH MONKEY - by J.D. Barker

THE FOURTH MONKEY - J. D. Barker
Published: July 2017.
Pages: 480.
Genres: Adult / thriller / mystery / contemporary
Source: Thank you to the author and his publishers for sending me an ARC copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
For over five years, the Four Monkey Killer has terrorized the residents of Chicago. When his body is found, the police quickly realize he was on his way to deliver one final message, one which proves he has taken another victim who may still be alive. As the lead investigator on the 4MK task force, Detective Sam Porter knows even in death, the killer is far from finished. When he discovers a personal diary in the jacket pocket of the body, Porter finds himself caught up in the mind of a psychopath, unraveling a twisted history in hopes of finding one last girl, all while struggling with personal demons of his own. With only a handful of clues, the elusive killer’s identity remains a mystery. Time is running out and the Four Monkey Killer taunts from beyond the grave in this masterfully written fast-paced thriller.


If you know me well, you'll know I love thrillers. Just... LOVE them. I never get through books as quickly as I do thrillers, and I live for that rush of adrenaline and thirsting anticipation.
When I was offered this book to review, I jumped at the chance to read what looked like a fascinating and frightening story. *coughs* So uh.....yeah, okay, it was a bit darker than I expected, but I still loved it.
Thriller fans, get this book and feast upon it.

"We're going to have such fun, you and I."


The pacing is absolutely perfect. It's relentlessly fast but never rushed, and I found myself so completely addicted and riveted. The prose is tight, concise, and crackles and throbs with skill and energy. Barker is a superb writer, and he manipulates the reader effortlessly. I never guessed the outcome of mystery, and I loved how the author toyed with my mind.

The story is so clever. It's unpredictable, disturbing, and deliciously unreliable. The dialogue is witty and thoroughly entertaining, and I loved the bursts of humour amidst the darkness of the story subject. I even laughed out loud a few times.

The characters are so well-defined and compelling. I particularly loved Nash and Clair, but everyone has such a strong sense of being and personality. Most of the characters are horrible people, but all of them come across very vivid and real.
I also loved the chemistry between the detective group, and the subtle hints at close friendships. They're a diverse, powerful squad, and I so enjoyed their dialogue and exchanges.


It is a very dark story. Many scenes are extremely graphic in terms of violence, gore and mutilation. I actually skimmed a few of them, just so I wouldn't have the horrible images swimming in my mind for weeks to follow, and I don't regret doing so. It was just too much for me.




The Fourth Monkey is a haunting piece of graphic, psychological dark fiction, and its strong characters, thrilling plot, and disturbing content make for an extremely addictive read. It's all a thriller should be, and combines the stellar elements of the genre into an irresistible package. 

If you love thrillers, you'll love this. But I don't recommend reading it at night when a storm's raging outside with fierce wind and rain crashing against your bedroom window (yes, I did that.)


10 comments:

  1. This sounds like such a great thriller! I love when a book sucks you in and you just need to keep reading to find out what happens! I read a lot of thrillers, too, and the suspense and twists are what keep me coming back. Great review, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was!
      IKR?! It was perfect like that :)
      Thanks Angela!

      Delete
  2. This sounds so good! I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to get more into thrillers, and this sounds so cool! I won't be reading this during a storm though! I get frightened so easily. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should read it!
      Haha! Wise decision ;) Same!

      Delete
  4. I'm not a huge fan of gorey stuff, either... but if the writing is witty, I'm up for it!

    xoxo Abigail Lennah | ups & downs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit disappointing in that regard :( But yes, there's
      plenty of epic wit!

      Delete
  5. I really like thrillers, but this sounds like it might be too much for me! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a pity, but yeah, it was quite horrible in some parts!
      Thank you :)

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)