Wednesday, 28 September 2016

PAPER TOWNS - by John Green

Year Published (this edition): 2013 - by Bloomsbury. 
Genres: Young adult/contemporary/adventure. 
Pages: 305. 
Author: John Green. 
Source: Library. 
Goodreads: Paper Towns

Blurb: 
Quentin has always loved Margo Roth Spiegelman, for Margo (and her adventures) are the stuff of legend at their high school. So when she one day climbs through his window and summons him on an all-night road trip of revenge he cannot help but follow.

But the next day Margo doesn’t come to school and a week later she is still missing. Q soon learns that there are clues in her disappearance . . . and they are for him. But as he gets deeper into the mystery – culminating in another awesome road trip across America – he becomes less sure of who and what he is looking for.

Masterfully written by John Green, this is a thoughtful, insightful and hilarious coming-of-age story.
 





I picked up this book because I thought it was about time I read John Green. Its hype isn't anywhere near The Fault in Our Stars, but I thought I better just give one of his books a go so I can say I know his writing.  

Urgh. I didn't like it. Admittedly, reading this book was a big gamble because it meant I was going completely out of my comfort zone. I'm not a fan of contemporaries, nor do I go for these kind of premises. 
I'll start with the cons because they outnumber the pros ;)

Cons:
I didn't really get any of the characters. Quentin didn't seem to have much personality, and he hardly seemed rounded at all. 

It was very slow-moving and very boring. Actually, I would go so far as to say it was annoying.  Also, the writing didn't strike me as being anything amazing or unique.  

Pros:
I rather liked Lacey. Actually, I really liked Lacey. I thought her character came across very rounded and three-dimensional, and I loved seeing how her true self became more and more clear throughout the story (keeping with Green's theme of "you think you know someone but you don't"; to put it simply).

And that leads me to...............Green's theme. There was definitely depth within his story, and it insightfully and strongly enforced the fact that we can think we know someone inside out, but the truth is we don't. Nor can we hope to. We're all flawed, we're all individual, unique people, and - some of us more than others - have demons we're trying to fight off. I think it serves as a strong lesson that we should be careful how we judge people.   

Towards the end, there were quite a few beautiful and funny lines (separate from each other, by the way). I loved that. 
The end was where the story really got moving, and the "road-trip" was my favourite part of the book.    


I give it: 2 flowers.
   










10 comments:

  1. Oh no!!!!!! After reading your review I think I should maybe also steer clear of this one.... I'm not big into this genre and especially not when they are slow moving... BUUUUT he's so popular I feel compelled to give it a try! Argh, so much conflict.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a lot of people do like it, so maybe you might? It just really wasn't my taste :(
      Have you read The Fault in Our Stars? I haven't, but since that became SO popular, I want to try it.
      I know, the conflict :( Argh! *high five*

      Delete
  2. This is definitely one of my favourite books. I'm sorry you weren't a huge fan, but I actually liked that it was kind of slow paced. It was able to fit a lot of elements in one book. To each their own I guess :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting to hear what you liked about it :) I'm really sad I didn't, but oh well. As you say, to each their own ;)

      Delete
  3. I wasn't a huge fan of this one. I'm actually not a huge Green fan. I get really annoyed with his characters, they all seem the same to me. They also are all super pretentious :/ Like, NO teenager talks like they do or do what they do?! It's so weird to me. haha

    Molly @ Molly's Book Nook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES YES yes!! I totally agree with you :) And yet, I still think I'll read more of his books; just so I can say I did, you know? I feel like I should know his books cos he's so well-known.

      Delete
  4. I also didn't like this book that much. It was a bit "meh" for me, it did not have that something that will make it better then any average book, and if you ask me, Margo was a attention seeking spoiled brat so I couldn't like her, and couldn't understand Quentin's obsession with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree. Have you read any of Green's other books?

      Delete
  5. Interesting. I've been meaning to read this book since quite some time. Also, nice to meet you. Will be sure to drop by often. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get to read it soon :) And nice to meet you too! Thanks for the comment :)

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)