Friday, 2 September 2016

THE HOST - by Stephenie Meyer

Year Published: 2008 - by Little Brown and Company
Genre/s: Thriller/romance/sci-fi 
Pages: 620.
Author: Stephenie Meyer. 
Source: Library. 

Blurb:
Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of human hosts while leaving their bodies intact. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, didn't expect to find its former tenant refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

As Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of Jared, a human who still lives in hiding, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she's never met. Reluctant allies, Wanderer and Melanie set off to search for the man they both love.
 



I really enjoyed this. And I'm honestly surprised because for about the first half of the book, I really didn't. 

Overall, I really liked it. Meyer's writing has definitely improved since Twilight, and Wanda was a stronger character than Bella. Well, only a little stronger, unfortunately. 



I was very confused and bored for the first part of the book. It took a long time for things to get going, and that said, even some parts of the "non-boring" half could have used more action and movement. It also took a long time for me to be able to "see" the characters; their personalities didn't seem clear enough until about halfway through.

It was an interesting idea that only really got entertaining from about halfway through. I love Meyer's writing style, and, admittedly, it did have some of her "classic" characteristics: young girl falling in love with a much older guy; the love interest (Wanda's being Ian in this case) overly protective; etc.

I liked the characters. Melanie was cute, Wanda was interesting but could have been more three-dimensional, Ian was swoon-worthy, Jared was brooding, and Jamie was sweet. Melanie, Ian and Jamie were probably the most vivid, and my favourite characters were Melanie, Ian and Jamie.

The atmosphere grew more and more gorgeous and vivid as I read on. I loved the descriptions of the volcanic rock, the geysers under the earth, and the bathing room. The dialogue was realistic and entertaining for the most part, and the action was good too. Also, my heart ached at the end when something comes to a heartbreaking conclusion. Of course, it didn't end there, but I had tears in my eyes at the very thought. 


I give it: 4 flowers!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)