Wednesday, 21 September 2016

TORN (Trylle Trilogy #2) - by Amanda Hocking

Year Published: 2012 by Tor. 
Genres: Urban fantasy/romance/young adult/action. 
Pages: 356.
Author: Amanda Hocking. 
Source: Library. 
Goodreads: Torn

Synopsis: 
Acknowledging that she was different from everyone else wasn't difficult for Wendy, she'd always felt like an outsider. But a new world and family is a little hard for any girl to accept. Leaving behind the country of her birth, she is determined to fit back into normal life. But the world she's left won't let her go that easily.


Overall, this benefited from an exciting start but was ruined by the nothing that happened afterwards.





Oh this series. Oh this series. I mean, come on, I'm re-reading them now (probably for about the third time) and I still don't know what to think. Do I love it? Do I hate it? Neither. Well....Maybe.... I DON'T KNOW. 

{First read: January 2015}. 

Wendy was a bit more bearable in Torn. But she's still annoyingly feisty, a damsel in distress (no, that's not a contradiction you heard; she's both. Believe me; feisty as in "stamp my foot y'all"), and selfish and bratty. Yeah, it's great if characters have flaws, but Wendy's just too..........urgh, she's just too unlikable :(     

Finn was a cow. I hate him. 
Elora wasn't much better, and even my once "favourite" (not really, but I liked her) character Willa is now getting on my nerves. Could it be because I've read this series so much now? I don't know; I'm just seeing her character more clearly this time round, I think.
Likewise, Wendy's brother Matt was also infuriating. In the first book he was lovable, but now he's just far too overprotective and irritating. 

Duncan was one highlight. He was funny, delightful, and breath of breath air among a hot-headed, pig-headed cast. 
Loki was also kinda nice. He was a refreshing break from the Wendy & Finn dynamic, and I definitely prefer him with Wendy. Still, though, some of his supposedly witty and "bad-boy" comments were unfortunately too cliched and cheesy for them to really work. I thought. 

MAIN CONS:
Okay. I think I've finally figured out what I don't like about Hocking's writing. Finally, I think can place my finger on it.....
There's no subtext. NONE. Everything is unnecessarily explained, everything shoved in our faces, and there is nothing left for our imagination. I kid you not.  After a passage of dialogue, or during it, Wendy will explain exactly what the dialogue is about and exactly what we should be allowed to guess and process by ourselves. Nothing is left subtextal.  
In addition, there is FAR too much telling instead of showing. Very unnecessarily so. 

Another thing:
There's far too much talking and wandering round and no action. The book started off fast, but for the rest of it there was no proper action and no proper structure. 
And that leads me to the climax. Or, uh, the lack of one. Seriously: there's also no proper climax. At least Switched benefited from a fight, but here there was nothing. Just more talking and fretting but nothing was DONE. 

I give it: 2 flowers!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Seriously, I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Thank you Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)