Saturday, 15 October 2016

A PERFECT MURDER (film) would've been perfect if the ending hadn't been so weak

Cast: Micheal Douglas; Gwyneth Paltrow; Viggo Mortensen.
Year: 1998.
Director: Andrew Davis.
Content Rating: R for violence, sexuality, and language.
Source: Bought.
IMDB: A Perfect Murder

Synopsis:
A POWERFUL HUSBAND. AN UNFAITHFUL WIFE. A JEALOUS LOVER. ALL OF THEM HAVE A MOTIVE. EACH OF THEM HAS A PLAN.
Wall Street titan Steven Taylor seems like a devoted husband. He isn't. Beautiful Emily Bradford Taylor seems like a faithful wife. She isn't. And when Steven hires Emily's lover to kill her, it seems like a perfect murder. It isn't. In fact, little is what it seems in this sleek thriller. 

A Perfect Murder looked so perfect that ever since I was randomly watching trailers on YouTube and stumbled across its trailer, I've wanted to see it. Murder, deception, violence, lovers, lies, intrigue.....oooh, it's a delicious premise. 
And so I bought it. And I don't regret it.  

This is a hard film to review. I don't have a lot to say, so it'll be short :)  

Pros: 

- The acting was excellent. Micheal Douglas was as brilliant as always; creepy and commanding as the husband trying to keep his head above water and being prepared to use whatever means necessary to do so. Gwyneth Paltrow gave a strong performance as his innocent-turned-woman-with-a-plan wife, and Viggo Mortensen was also very good as the lover who had more on his mind than just a tumble in bed.   
- The cinematography was very fitting to the tight, beautifully chilly atmosphere.  
When there was music, it was great; and certain scenes were so perfectly enhanced by it, I got goosebumps.      
- The script was definitely clever, and the tension increased solidly. It was exciting :)  

Cons:


- The start was a bit slow and slightly random. Throughout the movie, references are made to Steven and Emily being a perfect couple on the outside & in view of society and yet inwardly they're struggling with scandal and distrust, but I personally would have preferred more 'backstory' and grounding before the plot launched into the actual thriller aspect. It is a thriller, yes, so it will head straight for the action, but I think that theme (trust no one; no one is as they seem ) would have come across stronger if the story had started with a better set-up. 
- The ending was VERY disappointing. Steven and Emily had their confrontation, but it was far too quick and easy. In addition, it lacked intelligence, wit, and 'went down without a fight' so to speak. 
It also ended without certain things being resolved properly.    

I did really enjoy this film, but the ending let me down. 

I give it: 3 and a half flowers! 



2 comments:

  1. I kinda liked this movie too. Michael Douglas was really good as the slimy husband lol and Gwyneth was good as well. Have you seen the Game? That's another good thriller with Douglas and Kara Unger is really good in that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it too! Lol ;) And yeah he really was; what an amazing actor.
      I haven't seen the Game, but now I'll definitely look out for it. Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)