Thursday, 6 October 2016

CROWN OF MIDNIGHT (Throne of Glass #2) - by Sarah J. Maas

Year Published: 2013 - by Bloomsbury. 
Genres: Young adult/high fantasy/romance/action/ paranormal/fae
Pages: 418.
Author: Sarah J. Maas.
Source: Library.
Goodreads: Crown of Midnight.

Blurb:
Crowned by Evil.
Bound by Duty.
Divided by Love.


Celaena Sardothien, royal assassin, is the King of Adarlan's deadliest weapon. She must win her freedom through his enemies' blood - but she cannot bear to kill for the crown. And every death Celaena fakes, every lie she tells, put those she loves at risk.

Torn between her two protectors - a captain and a prince - and battling a dark force far greater than the king, Celaena must decide what she will fight for: her liberty, her heart or the fate of a kingdom...



This was, in my opinion, a whole lot better than Throne of Glass :)


This was a huge improvement on Throne of Glass. First of all, the cover was a LOT better; the text and image worked perfectly together, unlike ToG that had awful red splattered over the silvery blue that was so creepy and intense. 

I still don't think Celaena fits the story exactly. I still don't like her, but I really DID like how she became more like an assassin after "you-know-who's" death. And that she got to show up the boys more than once. I hope Celaena won't revert back to that silly, frivolous assassin she was in ToG and at the start of CoM; I hope she keeps the change that came with "you-know-who's" death. Let her be feminine, by all means, but let her keep her darkness and coldness.    
Which brings me to.........that death. I won't spoil anything, but let me tell you, it twisted up my gut. I wasn't particularly attached to the character prior to the death, but I surprised myself with my reaction. I was, seriously, about as angry as Celaena was. And I'm SO glad she found that filthy murderer and made him pay.    

The writing......AH the writing. It's so vivid, so original, so atmospheric that I have unashamedly fallen in love with Maas's words more than her story. 
This book was SO exciting. It was packed with intense action that ricocheted off the pages and slammed repeatedly into my soul. Celaena scared me more than once, and Maas paced it all perfectly. 

I don't know what I think of Chaol and Dorian. Admittedly, I had a few *swoon* moments while reading about Chaol, but I feel like those two guys don't, well......well.....have much personality?!  They're beginning to feel very flat and bland, and maybe that's just me, but I hope their personalities become more clear and vibrant in the next book.    
   

The funny thing is, I'm still not sure what I think of this series. I LOVE Maas's writing, I do, but I don't find the characters or the story that appealing; to my particular taste, that is. The idea is brilliantly original, and it's a breath of fresh air among the fantasy YA novels you get today, but personally I'm not completely won over by it.  

I give it: 4 flowers!






4 comments:

  1. Finally getting to check out your review! I'm so behind this week.

    I can agree with some of what you've said, but then I've read all but the latest instalment of this series so I know where the bigger picture is headed and how things are going. I would recommend reading the novella's if you can get them - Assassin's Blade is the collection. They were a great insight into the characters and show even more thought and planning on the part of SJ Maas. I love it when authors are so meticulous and a series so well plotted!

    Hope you are enjoying Heir of Fire - that's where I was completely sold on the series. :)

    Di @ Book Reviews by Di

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm definitely hoping to read Assassin's Blade soon....our library has it, it was just out last time I checked. Great to hear that, though; I can imagine the novella will give a lot more depth.
      Yes! I totally agree :) I love it when authors are just so brilliantly in tune with their world and their characters. And SJ Maas excels at world building...

      That's cool to hear! I am enjoying it so far ;)
      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. I love this series so much! I loved Celaena from the very start of the series but I definitely agree that Crown of Midnight was an improvement. I disagree with you about Chaol and Dorian (I'm afraid I love them all!!) but yeah, the writing is just so freaking gorgeous :) Great review, Amy!

    Zareena @ The Slanted Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah agreed :) Since I wrote this review, I've changed my opinions quite a bit, and now I LOVE Chaol and Dorian! Lol ;)
      Thank you Zareena! Have a lovely week :)

      Delete

Seriously, I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Thank you Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)