Monday, 3 October 2016

THE HUNTSMAN: WINTER'S WAR (film) would have been unbearably cold had it not been for Emily Blunt's ironic warmth

Cast: Charlize Theron; Chris Hemsworth; Emily Blunt; Jessica Chastain. 
Director: Cedric Nicolas-Troyan.
Year: 2016.
Content Rating: PG 13 for fantasy action violence and sensuality.
Source: Rented.
IMDB: The Huntsman: Winter's War.

Synopsis:
Eric and fellow warrior Sara, raised as members of ice Queen Freya's army, try to conceal their forbidden love as they fight to survive the wicked intentions of both Freya and her sister Ravenna.


Overall, it was an okay film.
But Emily Blunt made it worth watching: she literally made me shiver (heh...notice what I did there) with her brilliant  performance.

"Maybe you and I are not worthy of forgiveness. But we are worthy of each other."

Love that line. If only the rest of the dialogue was as good....

{I'll be including photos from the film in this review because I just love the costumes and I think the film just looks so enticing in photos, hehe ;) } 


This has probably been one of my most "hyped about" movies this year; I have been looking forward to this film for ages, and I would not let the negative critic reviews deter me from watching it.
Emily Blunt and Jessica Chastain are two of my absolute favourite actresses. I would be lying if I said I wasn't watching this film for them. 
But alas, not even Blunt or Chastain could save this halfhearted fantasy. And not even the thrilling appeal of the rival sisters' baditude, either...... 




The advertising for this film has been great. I followed all the news till it's release, and it honestly seemed like it would be an action-packed fantasy film with brilliant actors and a whole lot of fun. 
It wasn't.    

Plot/story:
Snow White and the Huntsman didn't need a sequel. Or a prequel for that matter, and this film gives it both. The premise was already on very shaky ground and the ice started cracking right from the start. (The opportunities for ice puns are just too good to miss, I'm afraid). 
The plot was all over the place. The structure was totally disarranged (blame the prequel & sequel setup, I guess) and the narration at the start was not only annoying, it cramped the story as if it was almost trying to apologise for the film before it started. In addition, the back story was stupid and weak.  Loopholes abounded. 
There was too much going-on. It felt cluttered (especially the prequel part), the whole story was weak, and I found it hard to "suspend disbelief". Swallowing Blunt and Theron's "god-given powers" and all the magic without any explanation, twisted my stomach.   

Acting:
The acting was decent. (I'll come to Emily Blunt's excellence just now...).
Chris Hemsworth smiled a lot, Charlize Theron was underused and I thought her performance was halfhearted (she definitely wasn't on the same level as the first film, I thought). Except, that one line of hers "Oh Huntsman, I've missed you..." was killer. 
Jessica Chastain was definitely a good addition to the cast, and it was clear she was loving every minute of playing her badass Huntswoman. 
The dwarfs were portrayed by two brilliant comedians (Rob Brydon and Nick Frost) and while they did offer small comic relief, their lines were frequently short of witty and actual humour. This, however, is the fault of the script; definitely not the actors, who clearly were trying their best to work with what they had. And that brings me to...... 
The script. The dialogue, to be specific. And the dialogue was really bad and really boring.
Another con:  The chemistry between Hemsworth and Chastain was painfully forced. Chastain tried her best, but it just didn't work. In fact, there was more chemistry between Chastain and Blunt than there was between Mr. Huntsman and his stubborn wife.  
With the exception of Blunt, none of the actors gave their characters solid development. In fact, Blunt gave Freya more development in this one film than Hemsworth and Theron gave their characters in this film and the previous one combined.




Emily Blunt:
Undoubtedly the biggest PRO of the film, only Emily Blunt can pull off an Ice Queen and still show warmth. She delivered a brilliant performance, even going so far as to bring tears to my eyes during the climax and her {SPOILER!} death. Blunt was excellent, heart-breaking, chilling, and extraordinary. I LOVED her performance.  

Other: 
The cinematography was totally bland and boring and unoriginal. I was literally starving for some bright shots of the fantasy world and some creative angels to showcase Blunt's gorgeous ice powers. ( I kinda have an obsession with ice scenes. And the potential for good showcasing in this film made me ache with disappointment..).  
The action was good and exciting, but unfortunately it also felt forced, and, looking at the climax, too short-lived. 
Still, for the most part the action/fight scenes were decent and epic. And the CGI was very good.  



Was this film better than Snow White and the Huntsman? Did I prefer it? I don't know. Chastain and Blunt were brilliant additions, but the story was weaker. Oh, and on a side note, Halsey's "Castle" during the credits was a brilliant choice of soundtrack.  
{You can read my review of Snow White here. }

I give it: 3 and a half flowers!  









And to Emily Blunt........just take the 5 flowers, honey ;) 






4 comments:

  1. Oh I also watched this just the other day! I quite enjoyed it though. It's the first new movie I've watched in a while and I really got some laughs out of it. I can't remember enjoying the first movie as much as I did the second, but Mirror Mirror came out so close to it and I was struggling to remember which was which!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad u enjoyed it! I did like it, but I just thought the cons outnumbered the pros.
      Yeah I've also watched Mirror Mirror, but I personally enjoyed Snow White & the H a lot more than Mirror Mirror! :)

      Delete
  2. Too bad you didn't like it better. I actually enjoyed it. Watched it two times already. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I know :( Very disappointing. But I'm glad you liked it!

      Delete

Seriously, I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Thank you Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)