Monday, 24 October 2016

THE LAST SONG (film) has sun, surf, sand and skin, but Miley lacks substance

Cast: Miley Cyrus; Liam Hemsworth; Greg Kinnear.
Year: 2010.
Director: Julie Anne Robinson.
Content Rating: PG for thematic material, some violence, sensuality, and mild language. 
Source: Bought.
IMDB: The Last Song

Synopsis:
A rebellious girl is sent to a Southern beach town for the summer to stay with her father. Through their mutual love of music, the estranged duo learn to reconnect.


The Last Song is full of energy, but Miley lets it down.


This film was marketed for Miley fans; anyone eager to see her take on more 'mature' roles and showcase the acting ability she seems very confident of having. And she's definitely eager, I'll give her that. 
But her acting is just not up to scratch. 

The film's also famous for the Liam & Miley relationship, which started on this set and is still ongoing today, despite stops and starts. Does that fact make The Last Song a classic among fans?
Thanks to Liam & Miley, it's perhaps given more acknowledgment than it deserves.


Visually, it's a beautiful movie. The cinematography is lovely, and the dazzling, summery beaches and idyllic settings are enchanting and delightful. The soundtrack is also great, and I personally love Miley's "When I Look At You". 

The script's predictable and cheesy- but that's kind of a Sparks' given - and yet the inner conflict in Ronnie and Will's relationship - constantly heightened by a bratty and ever-fluctuating Ronnie - is just so false, so weak, so predictable and so forced that I honestly can not feel sorry for the characters. Will gets more of my sympathy, definitely, but Ronnie's so unlikable that I just can't sympathise with her. 

I could go on and on about Ronnie's relationship with her father, but that's more suited for a review of the original work: Sparks' novel. However, I will say this: it's your typical 'bratty kid bossing father/parents around and never getting told off by anyone' scenario. 

I found the moments of humour surprisingly smile-worthy, and it's definitely amusing in parts. Greg Kinnear (Ronnie's father) and Bobby Coleman (Ronnie's little brother) are a delightful comic duo :)   

The film inevitably cuts a lot of stuff from the original novel; most of it I sorely missed. As it were, the film's semi-climax with the conflict between the dangerous teenagers and Ronnie's 'group' of friends was a lot more in the background and simply rounded off with a punch or two.  

The acting is decent; with the exception of Miley Cyrus. Liam Hemsworth has the hunky looks and okay acting to pull off the not-demanding character of Will, and Greg Kinnear is decent in the stereotypical role of Ronnie's easy-going, tragically ill father. 
Then there's Miley. Her only redeemable trait is her beautiful chemistry with Liam Hemsworth; not to mention they're both pretty, which makes their romance very easy on the eye, as well. 
But her acting is laughable. It's so, so fake, and she frequently overacts. Some scenes she passes as 'bearable', but most of the time it's just painful to watch her.  
   

I can't decide between either 2 flowers, or 2 and a half, but for now I'll give it: 2 flowers!


8 comments:

  1. I actually haven't even seen this movie despite it being so big when it came out. I don't really intend to, it doesn't look like anything special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I wouldn't bother watching it if I were you. It's not great.

      Delete
  2. Egad. Nicholas Sparks has traumatized me. I stay away from his books and his novels. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol :) I usually feel exactly the same way, though occasionally I've been pleasantly surprised by one or two of his films.

      Delete
  3. I haven't watched the film after hearing a very similar review when it came out. I really like the book and don't want the movie to make me not like the story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I wouldn't recommend the film; especially if you love the book! Argh, isn't it awful how movies can ruin books like that?!
      But have you seen (or read) Safe Haven?; also by Sparks. HIGHLY recommend that; you can find my review of it here


      Delete
  4. I've been curious about this movie for ages, but as your review has confirmed, I was worried about Miley's acting. Maybe I'll give it a try at some point XD Great review!

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I thought Miley was awful. But maybe you should try it, even if it's just to love-to-hate it! Lol ;)
      Thanks!

      Delete

Seriously, I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Thank you Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)