Tuesday, 4 October 2016

THE SECRET IN THEIR EYES (film) had some predictable secrets, but was still a good thriller

Cast: Julia Roberts; Nicole Kidman; Chiwetel Ejiofor. 
Director: Billy Ray.
Year: 2015.
Content Rating: PG 13 for disturbing violent content, language and some sexual references. 
Source: Rented. 

Synopsis:

A tight-knit team of rising investigators, along with their supervisor, is suddenly torn apart when they discover that one of their own teenage daughters has been brutally murdered.


Overall, it was a good thriller. Although I can say
honestly, that I did not enjoy it



This film has received a lot of flack from viewers because they are inevitably comparing it to the original Argentinian film this film was based on. I don't have an opinion on that because I never watched the original.  But I do think that this movie was, in its own right, a good thriller.

Pros:
- The acting was very good (after all, you just need to look at the cast list to expect that...). Julia Roberts was incredible, gut-wrenching, and perfectly enveloped in her character. As the mother of a girl who was raped and murdered, her performance was heart-breaking.   
- It was a clever story and the dialogue was very good. As was the pacing. 
- Kidman and Ejiofor had decent chemistry, but their relationship could have been a lot stronger, which brings me to...... 

Cons:
- Kidman let down the relationship between her character and Ejiofor's. She just didn't seem to be involved enough and failed to give it her all. To be honest, Kidman was the main reason I wanted to watch this movie, but her performance left me very disappointed. 
The cinematography was boring. Not a big criticism; it just wasn't anything special. 
- Being a Hollywood film with big names, The Secret in Their Eyes was inevitably as slick and glossy as most Hollywood movies are; particularly those in this genre. The portrayal of the story wasn't particularly gritty or raw. Or, to put it badly, "down-to-earth" enough.    


This film deserves more than 3 flowers, but I just can't give it that because I simply didn't enjoy it. It wasn't my type of film.

I give it: 3 flowers! 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)