Monday, 14 November 2016

ROOM - by Emma Donoghue

Year Published: 2010- by Little, Brown and Company. 
Genres: Adult/ contemporary/fiction
Pages: 361.
Author: Emma Donoghue.
Source: Bought.
Goodreads: Room

Blurb:
To five-year-old-Jack, Room is the world. . . . It's where he was born, it's where he and his Ma eat and sleep and play and learn. At night, his Ma shuts him safely in the wardrobe, where he is meant to be asleep when Old Nick visits. 

Room is home to Jack, but to Ma it's the prison where she has been held for seven years. Through her fierce love for her son, she has created a life for him in this eleven-by-eleven-foot space. But with Jack's curiosity building alongside her own desperation, she knows that Room cannot contain either much longer.

Room is a tale at once shocking, riveting, exhilarating--a story of unconquerable love in harrowing circumstances, and of the diamond-hard bond between a mother and her child.



A harrowing, bittersweet, darkly beautiful novel, Room tells a magnificent story but never once borders on melodrama or understatement. In my opinion, Donoghue had something tough to say and she never once shied away from the heartbreaking truth and grit of it.   


I had high expectations for this novel. 
I saw the movie first (I know, I know, never do it in that order...) and I absolutely fell in love with it. (Brie Larson is incredible). Needless to say, I was hesitant about the book. And the idea of a five-year-old narrator wasn't exactly something I was confident would work.  
But......

WOW JUST WOW WOW. Literally from the first page I was hooked. And because my emotions are kinda a mess right now, let me break it down. 

The writing/pacing/story: 

Donoghue is a genius. Through Jack's naive, often ignorant, totally realistic and believable five-year-old voice, she has told a tale that just wouldn't be the same from someone else's point of view. Jack's narration is pitch perfect; delivering vivid imagery and heartbreaking honesty about the situation he and his Ma are in, and showing, so beautifully, how both of them deal with it.

Donoghue's pacing is perfect.  Her writing is powerful and heartfelt. I was never bored. It was exciting, thrilling, heartbreaking, and the story and writing so gripping. I can't understand why someone would be bored, when Jack's narration is so ingenious and realistic and rich. 

To be honest, the topic's enough to get me crying even before I start reading. It's something very close to my heart, and I sobbed my heart out at times while reading through the atrocity and horror of what Ma experienced. It's gut-wrenching, raw, honest, frightening, and sickening. But above all, it's a triumph. And it's a testament of true love; the purest kind of love that exists between a mother and her child.     

Characters:

The characters are astonishingly vivid and realistic. More than anything or anyone, Ma took my breath away .What an amazing, strong, incredible woman. What an inspiration. She was superb and brilliant and broken but beautiful. Unforgettable.  
   

End comments: 

Yes, Room is painful and heartbreaking to read, but it's also beautiful and brilliantly written. Donoghue instills her tale with hope, so you come away not broken, but touched by the light she allows to shine into Jack and Ma's tiny Room. And, for me personally, into life itself.     



Oh, it feels good to dish out this rating. 
I give it: 5 flowers!



8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful review! I wanted to read this before and now even more so.

    I don't know if I'll come out of it all intact, but this one sounds like I can't miss it. I'm going to stick it up there next to Me Before You on the TBR shelf of 'I'm sure I'll bawl my eyes out'.

    Again, great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my word thank you! That really made my day :)

      Oh yes, it's heartbreaking, but SO worth it. I hope you get to read it soon, I'd love to know what you think :)

      Thank you <3

      Delete
  2. I would definitely agree with this review! It was such a heartbreaking novel, but the details and descriptions that Jack put out were extraordinary! This is literally a masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you loved it too! And I totally agree with you - Room's a masterpiece and it needs more recognition.

      Delete
  3. Hmm I know a lot more about this one now, and I'm tempted to read it as well. I knew about the movie but had not heard much about the novel. Now I want to experience it for myself! It looks very moving and inspirational- fabulous review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to read it soon, it's amazing and I definitely recommend it :) Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Lovely review, and I couldn't agree more. Emma Donoghue conveys Jack's story beautifully and created pacing that kept me in suspense. I should really read more by her, thank you for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      And I totally agree with you about that...she did everything perfectly. I'm so glad you enjoyed it too.
      I actually just got a book out of the library that's by her as well, so I can't wait to read it. Hope you get to read another book by her soon!
      Thanks for the lovely comment :)

      Delete

Seriously, I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Thank you Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)