Thursday, 8 December 2016

SISTERS RED - by Jackson Pearce

Year Published: 2010 - by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers.
Genres: Urban fantasy/fairy tale retelling/ romance/action/young adult
Pages: 328.
Author: Jackson Pearce.
Source: Library.
Goodreads: Sisters Red

Blurb:
Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris — the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.
Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts ferociously alongside her. But even as more girls' bodies pile up in the city and the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves. She finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax and Scarlett's only friend — but does loving him mean betraying her sister and all that they've worked for?


My Review: 

{First read from June 10 - June 13 2016}.

 I have been longing to read a brilliant, romantic, action-packed fairy tale retelling for too long. 
The cover for Sisters Red didn’t initially grab my attention, but I picked it up because the synopsis sounded good. 
And OH MY WORD was it good! 


What I Loved:


I loved this book; just loved it. It was fast-paced, gloriously action-packed, and brilliantly written. The characters were strong, realistic, brave, and relatable. My favourite was probably Scarlett, but I did like Rosie too; I don’t get why so many people say in their reviews that Rosie was boring. I certainly don’t think she was – she was quieter and more “girlish” than Scarlett (who was her sister) but that didn’t make her any less brave or less of a strong character. And to see Rosie escape the tunnel on her own was such a brilliant move by the author. I loved Rosie’s “coming-of-age” which added creditably and feeling to her character. 
Her growth was very well developed. 




Silas was great too – definitely one of my book boyfriends – and I loved how he let the girls be strong and capable without being overprotective or shallow. I really enjoyed his slow-building romantic relationship with Rosie, and also his beautiful friendship with Scarlett. He and the girls were equals, and I LOVED that. 
And there was no love triangle ;) 
This line shows perfectly how he respects the girls and doesn't try to shelter them: 





Scarlett was a terrific role model. She was capable –in NO way a damsel-in-distress – and I felt so sad and anguished to read how she was trying to carry her burdens. Her protectiveness towards her sister and her desire to save the other victim girls was so moving, and I really felt her pain. Scarlett was an amazingly strong female character, and I was so satisfied to see her and Rosie kicking a**: it was so rewarding to read about two brilliant female characters who didn’t need a guy to rescue them, and yet could be vulnerable and realistic at the same time. 

The descriptions were equally vivid and strong. Everything had depth, and I just immersed myself into it with no trouble at all. 
And the ending. Gosh, that ending/finale fight scene was so heart-breaking and tense and I'm SO relieved SPOILER..................that no one died. END OF SPOILER. I was about to start sobbing, and then WHEW it all worked out. <3  


What I Didn't Love So Much: 

The mystery part of the novel (“who’s the Potential?”) was admittedly predictable. I basically knew from the start that Silas wasn’t all that he seemed to be - thanks to the synopsis – and it wasn’t hard to put the pieces together. 
One thing I didn’t find particularly good about the novel was the location. It's urban fantasy, clearly, but the details of their world - where they are, and how their journey affects the people around them - were left very vague. The fact that Scarlett, Silas and Rosie go around wielding hatchets and knives and axes and no one notices enough to question them or suspect them was very unbelievable. The author managed to make it pass as ok - and I could overlook it because I was loving the story so much – but to be honest that whole issue was left quite in the dark. 
There were a few generalisations that didn't sit well with me. This quote "He smiles, white teeth dazzling in the night. A normal girl would be drawn to him. a normal girl would think about touching him, would think about kissing him, wanting him.  A normal, stupid, ignorant girl." makes me angry. It's a huge generalisation, and offensive. I've done some research regarding this quote and read some other bloggers' reviews. While I don't think Pearce generalised intentionally, it still isn't good. I don't want to take it any further, but I will say that I think it's wrong, offensive, and enough to make my blood boil at the accusations.    


Sisters Red irresistibly combines everything a fairy tale retelling hungers for: it's sexy, gritty, jam-packed with hot romance and pounding action, with its characters strong and capable and realistic. Pearce has done so many things right with this book, it's a breath of fresh, pulsing, electrifying fun.   


I give Sisters Red: 4 and a half flowers!










10 comments:

  1. Amy!! Your reviews always make me add so many books to my TBR! This sounds so deliciously amazing! Great review as always and I have to say I love the cover of this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uma!! Thank you so much, and I'm so glad you're getting introduced to these books! Thank you, you're so kind :) Glad you love the cover, too! What I do like about it, is that it's mysterious and beautifully unique, and it speaks well for the story's character :)
      Thank you again for your lovely comment. I always love your comments <3

      Delete
  2. I've had this one on my Goodreads TBR pile since it came out....I can't believe it's 6 years old already! I really should get to it soon. I'm glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh shame! I know that feeling all too well ;) Hope you get to it soon, it's SO good!
      Have a lovely rest of the week and thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  3. What a cool cover! I'd never seen this book before. Romantic, you say? I'm glad that the ending worked out in the way you said it did. :D Great review! <3

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is :) And it definitely was both romantic and heartbreaking and satisfying!
      Thank you!

      Delete
  4. We've never heard of Sisters Red before - it's definitely on our TBR list now since we LOVE fairy tale retellings. We also love books with strong females, and it's great to see that the male figure doesn't shelter them. Nice review Amy!!! <3

    ~ Pendragons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I'm so glad you like fairy tale retellings too! Hope you get to read it sometime soon :)
      Thank you! Have a lovely Friday :)

      Delete
  5. Oh! This one sounds so good! I love the way it sounds and the quotes that you shared. I am going to keep my eyes open for this one.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, I hope you get to read it sometime soon! I'm sure you'll like it.
      And oh yeah, those quotes are amazing :)

      Thank you! <3

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)