Saturday, 10 December 2016

THE HOLLOW BOY (Lockwood & Co. #3) - by Jonathan Stroud

Year Published: 2015 - by Doubleday Childrens.
Genres: young adult/horror/fantasy/paranormal/mystery/middle grade.
Pages: 466.
Author: Jonathan Stroud.
Source: Library.
Goodreads: The Hollow Boy

Blurb:
Lockwood & Co. might be the smallest (some might say shambollic) Psychic Detection Agency in London. But its three agents - Lockwood, Lucy and George - are exceptional Talents. And they get results. When an outbreak of ghostly phenomena grows to terrifying levels in Chelsea, Scotland Yard is left baffled.

Even more baffling is that Lockwood & Co appear to have been excluded from the huge team of Agents investigating the Chelsea Outbreak. Surely this is the perfect chance for them to show once and for all that they're actually the best in town? Well, that's if they can put aside their personal differences for long enough to march into action with their rapiers, salt and iron . . .







My Review:



I read the first Lockwood & Co. book about a year ago, and as far as I remember, I enjoyed it. Didn't love it, but enjoyed it. And I intend to re-read it as soon as possible because after reading this book, I'm sure I'll love the first book even more :)


Literally from the first paragraph - I kid you not - I was in love. While I didn't find the ghostly elements particularly scary, I was swept away by the magic of Stroud's unique, beautiful, and endlessly entertaining writing. The descriptions of the ghosts and all things haunted were ravishing and delicious to read; Stroud's choice of language was brilliant, and some atmospheres were almost tangible.

The dialogue and characters made the story. The plot was very weak and very thinly spread over the course of the story, but honestly, I could overlook that because I loved the dialogue so much. It was springing with wit and humour, and I adored the characters of Lockwood (definitely sexy), Lucy (gorgeously insecure and dorky), and George (who made me laugh more than once and was entirely lovable).  I also adored the skull. He was so cheeky and witty with a brilliant character, and made me laugh so many times. He was just adorable; he was probably my favourite character.

The story was jam-packed with perfectly written action. It was sharp, fun, clever, and exciting, and I loved the fights. I admit that at first I was really disappointed with the climax, which I thought was very anti-climatic and over too quickly.  But as soon as the story moved onto the resolution scenes, I found myself ignoring the 'weak' climax because the resolution was just so entertaining and satisfying and perfect :)     
It was heartbreaking too. I cried towards the end :(

Lockwood & Co. is so much more than a story of ghosts and thrills and haunted houses. It's the shining example of a novel carried by its characters and dialogue. Sprinkled with the magic of Stroud's unique use of language, The Hollow Boy is a tale of characters - very much human - and the radiant wit of an author who clearly cares about them.   

Why only 4 flowers? The story was made by its characters and dialogue, not its plot. Also, there were some parts where Stroud tended to over-describe, and despite beautiful language, the scenes were often not very vivid and it was hard to see place.

I give The Hollow Boy: 







4 comments:

  1. Oooh! That sounds spooky and awesome. Dynamic dialogue is definitely amazing when you come across it, leaving writers and readers alike wondering "how did they make it so real?" (I often find myself reading more as a writer than a reader! lol XD)

    Great review! Makes me want to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It so was! And that's SO true, as well. I often read more as a writer, too ;) Hehe. Reading and writing work well together in many ways, and that definitely helps when you review a book. I've found:)
      Thanks! Yay I hope you do! It's SO good :)

      Delete
  2. Ooooo, Jonathan Stroud! I loved his Bartimaeus Sequence series. I have not read anything new by him though. Lockwood sounds swoony. :D I'm glad you liked the characters so much!

    Great review. <3

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read that series, but now I'll definitely look out for it :) Glad you enjoyed it!
      Haha he is, and I certainly loved those characters <3
      Thanks!

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)