Monday, 19 December 2016

UNDER THE NEVER SKY (Under the Never Sky #1) - by Veronica Rossi

Year Published: 2012 - by Atom.
Genres: Young adult/dystopia/romance/action/science fiction/fantasy
Pages: 374.
Author: Veronica Rossi.
Source: Library.
Goodreads: Under the Never Sky

Blurb:
WORLDS KEPT THEM APART.

DESTINY BROUGHT THEM TOGETHER.

Aria has lived her whole life in the protected dome of Reverie. Her entire world confined to its spaces, she's never thought to dream of what lies beyond its doors. So when her mother goes missing, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland long enough to find her are slim.

Then Aria meets an outsider named Perry. He's searching for someone too. He's also wild - a savage - but might be her best hope at staying alive.

If they can survive, they are each other's best hope for finding answers.





My Review: 


I have seen this book so many times at the library, but never bothered to pick it up; simply because the cover didn't tempt me, and I'm generally not a fan of dystopia.
But finally I relented and got it out.  And after seeing the amazingly positive reviews online, I thought I would fall in love with this book and hate myself for not picking it up earlier.
I was so disappointed.

What I Liked:

There wasn't much I liked about this book, I'm very sorry to say. But I did appreciate how slow-burning the romance was; in that way it was realistic.
I also loved the action. By action I mean physical fights, etc. The language and pacing were absolutely perfect. Great action.
The book did improve as it went along. Not enough to make me love it, but enough that I noticed the change and appreciated the improvements.  

What I Didn't Like: 

The dialogue was boring and totally unrealistic. It was stilted, bland, and poor. I just couldn't get the sense that real people were talking; it felt so fake.
It was achingly painful to see the world. It wasn't vivid, there wasn't enough description, and I was left hanging for most of the scenes. Not to mention the plot/story itself was very confusing, and the book started with literally no background information that I could grasp onto, and it took all my determination to keep reading past the first chapter.
The characters were flat and boring. Too many YA tropes were used, and the characters fell into stereotypes fast. Aria (the heroine) was a damsel; at first I thought she might be one of those "quiet strength" girls - which I love - but no. She had to be saved constantly, and her personality was frequently inconsistent. One minute she'd be all quiet and shy with Perry (the hero) and the next minute she'd be sassy and "feisty".  She'd also throw tantrums over the most petty things, which had nothing to do with the main plot. Inconsistent was the word; it was like the author was trying to decide how she wanted her heroine to be as she wrote along - basically making up as she went along.
The book was written in third person, past tense (in alternating points of view), which I found rather awkward.   Again, it didn't help flesh out the characters or display their personalities; they remained flat.      
I couldn't feel for any of the characters. I couldn't connect with them or feel sorry for them. I tried, and failed. No one touched my heart, and I honestly did not find myself aching over their struggles or their loses. Considering that the main theme of this book is centered around tragic incidents and relies heavily on the reader feeling something for the desperate characters (Aria's trying to find her mother; Perry's trying to find Talon) it also played a big part in my dislike of the book.


I wanted to like this. I really thought I would. 
But I couldn't, and that was due largely to the characters.  
I also feel like I should apologise for this review. It wasn't easy to write, and I hope to edit it sometime in the future to make my thoughts clearer.    

I give Under the Never Sky:





8 comments:

  1. It sounded like a good book though, the title sounds epic! Inconsistency in characters can really readers off, we think. The review seems just fine, you wrote nicely! :):):)

    ~Pendragons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I liked the title too! But maybe you will enjoy it, give it a try :) It's very popular otherwise and I'm in the minority, so you never know.
      Thank you :) <3 I'm still not sure about it though ;)

      Delete
  2. I absolutely adore this trilogy, it's one of my favorites. I'm so sad you didn't like this one! Thank you for sharing your thoughts <3

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I'm glad you loved it, but so sorry I didn't! I feel so bad, lol :(
      Thanks for such a polite comment, especially since we disagree on the book! Lol <3

      Delete
  3. It's sad you didn't like the book..I was planning on checking it out..i might just pick it up and see if it works for me :) Great review Amy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Uma, I was so disappointed too :( Yeah maybe you will like it; I have a strong feeling that perhaps it was just not MY kind of book, since it has a heck of a lot of positive reviews. So it might work for you :)
      Thank you :)

      Delete
  4. Again, I'm so sorry this one didn't work out for you. I am putting my interest in this one on the backburner now! It sounds like the characters would put me off too. :( YA tropes also get on my nerves when not done well.

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Di :)
      Yeah, I wouldn't recommend it, but who knows; it has a ton of positive review on GR, so maybe it's just me?

      Sure :)

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)