Monday, 9 January 2017

AN EDUCATION (film) was pure British class

An Education - 2009
Director: Lone Scherfig.
Cast: Carey Mulligan / Rosamund Pike / Dominic Cooper / Olivia Williams / Emma Thompson / Peter Sarsgaard / Alfred Molina.
Content Rating: PG 13 for thematic material involving sexual content.
Source: Bought.


A coming-of-age story about a teenage girl in 1960s suburban London, and how her life changes with the arrival of a playboy nearly twice her age.






The stellar cast drew me to this film. Such big, beautiful British names, I mean how can you resist?!
And I am glad I watched it.


It was an excellent film. Fully-rounded, three-dimensional characters who underwent brilliant and realistic development, witty dialogue, a quirky, classy, tender, and profound story, not to mention excellent cinematography, a rich historical setting, actors and actresses that were perfectly cast and gave in-depth performances, and most of all: a raw and stunning display of talent from Carey Mulligan.

Ending with a refreshing outcome that departed from the cliches of the genre, An Education was both tragic and joyful.  It had some strong moral lessons to impart to young girls and probed deep into sexist times of the era while bringing about an outcome that instilled hope and triumph, rather than tragedy.
The theme was scary, because it showed what can happen when a young girl is swept away by the charms of an older man, but it ended with her learning from her mistakes and carrying on with her life. It was triumphant and moving.     


There were only two tiny negatives: 
I did think it went on for a bit too long; my attention wandered somewhat towards the end. Also, it was rather predictable. Not big flaws, but worth mentioning :)


An Education was a fine display of British talent and a rich historical drama. It avoided the typical, cliched coming-of-age adolescent story we've seen so much of in the past, and presented a tender, real, and ultimately profound journey of a young girl finding her place in life and learning from her otherwise tragic mistakes.   






6 comments:

  1. Ooh, we love historical dramas. Have you watched The Crown yet? It's also a British cast. <3 This didn't seem like the type of movie we'd watch, but your review of it is great! - you've persuaded us, we'll be watching out for it. Excellent cinematography is always a plus for us!
    ~ Pendragons 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope you get to see this one soon, then :)
      I haven't seen The Crown, but I want to. It looks so good, and that cast though ;)
      Thank you!
      Oooh yes, cinematography is such a big factor, and when it's gorgeous, it's gorgeous!

      Delete
  2. I haven't watched this one yet and, considering I live in England, I should remedy to that for the Brits' sake! :P Really glad you had such a great time with it, your triumphant and moving really got me excited for this movie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Consider it your duty to watch this film ;)
      Thanks :) Yay I'm glad! Hope you enjoy when you see it!
      Have a lovely week, Silvia :)

      Delete
  3. This is one of my favorite movies, so I was curious what you'll say about it.
    I agree it is a bit long, but I didn't mind tbh. I wantched it more then 5 times now, since it was released, and loved it every single time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I'm SO glad you enjoyed it that much!! And I'm glad the time didn't bother you :)
      Have a lovely rest of the week, Irena :)

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)