Tuesday, 10 January 2017

THE 5th WAVE - by Rick Yancey

The 5th Wave - Rick Yancey
Published: 2013 - by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers
Pages: 457.
Genres: Dystopia/zombies/young adult/
Source: Library.

After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one. Now, it's the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth's last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie's only hope for rescuing her brother-or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.

I picked up this book simply because I wanted to be able to say I'd read it, just because it seemed like the kind of solid YA novel you should be able to say you'd read.  Stupid reason, I know, but there you have it. And I came to it unbiased, with an easy attitude that could have gone either way.
It was an okay book. 


The concept has been done a thousand times over. You know it; zombie Apocalypse, survivors struggling to survive, a romance against the backdrop of a failing civilisation......that kind of thing; where, in my case, you don't expect to be blown away because really, what can they bring to the table?
Pretty negative, I know.  But I still liked the book.


What I Liked: 

The brother-sister dynamic between Cassie and Sammy was beautiful. That sort of theme never fails to tug at my heart strings, and I loved their relationship.  
Cassie was a wonderful heroine. She was sassy - oh, how deliciously sassy - reflective, and brave as well as compassionate. I loved her character development and her intelligence.  
It was well written. The action was brilliant, there were quite a few thought-provoking moments, and for the most part the pacing was good.  Towards the end it was very exciting.  
It was very sad in places. Okay, the whole theme is sad, but I did cry a bit towards the end. It was just so empty, so despairing, and Cassie's narration made it even more gut-wrenching.  


What I Didn't Like: 

The constant change of point-of-views was very confusing at the start. It could just be me, but I didn't actually realise it was a different person's perspective till much later on when I was so confused that I had to go back and consider the options.  
I didn't get the whole Wonderland thing. It was confusing and very vague.   
The insta-love was silly. Evan basically fell in love with Cassie at first sight, and although I suppose it could be something to do with their situation, it just felt weird and false. Which brings me to: 
What was the point of Evan? True, he could have been there to try open Cassie up a bit and let us see a different - softer, more vulnerable - side of her, but I honestly would've preferred the story without that romance. Cassie turned a bit too much into a damsel when he was around, and thus her character took the brunt of his presence.  She lost a bit of her strength, and I didn't like that.   
Although there were many thought-provoking parts, a lot of the narration became very preachy and melodramatic. Especially at the start, I felt like the author was trying too hard and that his prose was dangerously close to becoming purple. 



The 5th Wave was a gritty, desolate, ravaged view of the future that did tug on my heartstrings and had a brilliantly sassy and strong heroine, but ultimately it was very forgettable and unremarkable.  






15 comments:

  1. After many years have passed, I am now finding it hard to believe that I rated this 5 stars. But then again, I'm probably influenced by the suck-fest that was the movie. Lol. Have you seen it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I feel you :) I'm exactly the same when I look over my old ratings!
      I haven't seen the movie, but I'd like to, just out of interest. Sorry you didn't enjoy it!
      What didn't you like about it?

      Delete
  2. Great review! I read this a while ago and like you I thought it was okay. I have the second book ready to be read but I just keep putting it off... Not sure if or when I'll ever get to it. I did watch the movie and thought it was okay too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh my word yes, I totally forgot there is a second book!
      Yeah, a part of me also doesn't want to read the second book, although I'm one of those people who feels the need to finish the series even if they didn't enjoy the first book ;)
      I hope to watch the movie soon, but I haven't heard great things about :(

      Delete
  3. I knew this was an apocalypse book, but I didn't know there were zombies involved ^^ I cannot handle zombies at all XD I won't be reading this lol. Great review!

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, yeah the zombies only become obvious like halfway through, and although I'm not fan of zombies either, it wasn't "in you face" horrible.
      But I wouldn't recommend this book, anyway ;)
      Thank you!

      Delete
  4. I know a lot of people didn't like this book but I LOVED The 5th Wave and The Infinite Sea! They made me feel all the feels and ship all the ships. XD I'm glad you liked this well enough, though! :) Great review, Amy! <3 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed them, Kyra! Yay, that's great :)
      Thank you <3

      Delete
  5. Agreeing with Bookaholic 007, it's nice that you liked The 5th Wave. We absolutely loved it! We really disliked The Infinite Sea though, and we haven't watched the movie. Great review as always :) YES, the Wonderland thing was confusing - that'd be our only complaint for the 5th Wave.
    ~ Pendragons 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I'm so glad you loved it! Thank you :) I haven't seen the movie either, but I think I'd like to.
      Lol, yeah it was!

      Delete
    2. I have determined she was just sick, running a fever. :)

      Delete
  6. "It was an okay book."? Hope you feel better. You were obviously running a fever when you wrote this review. This is a MASTERPIECE! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! I'm SO sorry I didn't like it! Yep, just call me sick ;)

      Delete
  7. I buddy read this one with a friend from bookstagram last year and honestly OUR REASONING IS THE SAME. I don't know why that has me so excited, but it did. I totally did NOT understand the wonderland thing and the whole green eye or whatever, so yeah >.> I was not a fan of the romance -- it felt rather thrown in. And at times the point of views were confusing. But I especially liked Cassie and the beginning, where we learned about the waves and what they consisted of. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that's so cool!! But I'm sorry you didn't like it either :( The whole Wonderland thing was very confusing, and the romance did feel forced. Oh yes, and I totally agree about the points of view; SO confusing.
      Yeah that was cool :)
      Thanks!

      Delete

Seriously, I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Thank you Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)