Saturday, 14 January 2017

THE LUXE (The Luxe #1) - by Anna Godbersen

The Luxe - Anna Godbersen
Year Published: 2007 - by Harper Collins.
Genres: Historical drama / romance / young adult
Pages: 433.
Source: Library.

Pretty girls in pretty dresses, partying until dawn, irresistible boys with sly smiles and dangerous intentions. White lies, dark secrets, and scandalous hookups. THIS IS MANHATTAN, 1899... Elizabeth and Diana Holland rule Manhattan's social scene. But when the girls discover their family's status is far from secure, suddenly everyone is a threat to their golden future. Set in a world of luxury and deception, this thrilling trip to the age of innocence is anything but innocent.


I wasn't expecting to love this book. Historical romances aren't really my thing, and I thought I'd be bored out of my mind.
But I wasn't. I fell in love.



A dash of Downton Abbey and a sprinkling of The Selection, and you have: The Luxe. 
It was gorgeous, captivating, and utterly absorbing.  I was swept along by the rich atmosphere and deliciously mysterious world of the New Yorkian upper class, with all its society secrets, gossip, forbidden romance, stunning gowns, fancy balls, and dashing boys.  It was so relaxing to read and so captivating. The atmosphere was the best thing about the book, and I loved all the descriptions; particularly of the dresses.
I absolutely fell in love with Will and Elizabeth (who doesn't love a tragically forbidden romance, threatened by society rules?!), and although it's clear that Diana and Henry are the OTP of the series, Will and Liz will always be my favourite. They're so sweet and beautiful together, and since I know where their romance is going - I read the second book about two years ago - it's also very painful to see how hopeful and innocent they are in this first book.


It also had its flaws:

- The characters were a bit stereotypical. But in this genre, I'm inclined to think you can get away with it; after all, a society drama set during this era isn't really at the epitome of its genre without "the rich girl, the humble boy, the troublemaker, the angelic older sister, the wild younger sister". A bit predictable, but it worked.
- The dialogue wasn't great. It often felt very forced and a bit "off"; frequently, the characters would say things that were a bit too "on the nose", and it was rushed. Overall, the dialogue didn't follow smooth arcs.



The Luxe is a captivating, atmospheric historical drama oozing with delicious gossip and stunning descriptions. If you want to get swept away and have fun, read this book. 




19 comments:

  1. Amazing review Amy :) I'm glad to hear it was captivating! on an unrelated note, I can't see your GFC gadget anymore! I can't see mine either :/ It shows up on other blogs though :/ Any idea what might be wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey I found a solution! Our HTTPS redirect is turned on therefore it wasn't appearing..I just removed the HTTPS redirect and now the followers is showing up! weird I know :/

      Delete
    2. Thank you Uma!! Oh my word yes I've totally been freaking out about the followers! I have been so stressed, lol, and I noticed yours was the same.
      You did??!! Oh my heck thank you, I'll try that! Xxx

      Delete
    3. IT WORKED!! OH MY WORD UMA THANK YOU!! <3

      Delete
    4. YAY!! :) But if anyone visits your blog via HTTPS, the followers will not show..it's a bug on their part..hopefully that will be set right soon too :)

      Delete
    5. Yeah I'm not seeing them sometimes, and then sometimes I am. SO weird - I don't fully understand it!
      But thanks :)

      Delete
    6. Me either! and you're welcome <3

      Delete
  2. Great review, Amy! :)

    It's cool that you went through and read a book you didn't think you'd like. It seems that when we try books out of our usual genre, we sometimes love them though! This has happened to me a few times, and I'm hoping to try some different books this year. :D

    <3

    audrey caylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      That is so true, Audrey :) It's something I want to do more this year, too. Hope you enjoy the books you attempt!

      Delete
  3. Oh that's AWESOME! I love it when you don't think you'll totally love a book, and then it surprises you. I adore historical fiction, and historical romance, and I've been curious about this series. I haven't read any of the books though. I hope you enjoy the rest of the series, Amy!

    Have a fabulous weekend. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW RIGHT?! It's awesome!
      Glad you do! You should read this series, then :)
      Thanks, I hope so too!

      Delete
  4. Lovely review Amy! It's amazing you picked up a book you didn't think you'd like :) It's been a while since we've read the Luxe, so we'll have to pick it up again. Rumors has such a pretty title cover. <3
    ~ Pendragons 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know, I was so pleasantly surprised :)
      Yeah you should, it's so good :) And yeah, it does!
      Thanks for the comment :)

      Delete
  5. You make me want to reread this book! I read it once years and years ago, but never read the sequel. I do really remember loving the romances though. I love a good old forbidden romance; I'm pretty sure that was my favorite as well. Great review! I just might restart this series now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay go for it!! Oh yes, the romances are lovely, and there's definitely something special about those kind :)
      Thanks! Yay, enjoy!!

      Delete
  6. This is yet another series that I've been wanting to read! (There are so many of those, sigh....) The reference in the synopsis is to "The Age of Innocence", by Edith Wharton, which is a classic I need to read as well, lol.

    In spite of the flaws you've mentioned, this novels sounds like such a FASCINATING read! And your review was just LOVELY!! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!! <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I highly recommend them if you like historical romance :)
      Oh yes I want to read that one too! I love classics.

      It is!! And thank you!! <3 Have a fantastic day, Maria :)

      Delete
  7. Ahh! This one is on my soon to read TBR and I'm even more determined to get to it asap now! I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed it so much.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay that's awesome! I hope you get to read it soon and enjoy it!

      Thanks :)

      Delete

Seriously, I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Thank you Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)