Monday, 20 February 2017

Interview: Magical Words from author Tiffany McDaniel


I am so excited to have author Tiffany McDaniel on the blog today, and I hope you'll enjoy the interview! 
Thank you, Tiffany, for visiting and sharing :)  

Here's the Goodreads link to Tiffany's award-winning novel: 



1: What are some of your all-time favourite books?
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury, We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson, and Above the River: The Collected Poems of James Wright.


2: What are your favourite types of scenes to write? Which are the hardest to write?

My favourite scenes to write are usually the introduction scenes because like the reader I’m meeting the characters for the first time. The hardest scenes to write are probably the scenes of death or scenes that you hope the reader will have an emotional response to.


3: What usually comes to you first: a character, or a story/plot idea?

I always start writing a new novel with two things: the title and the first line. These two things lead the entire rest of the story for me. My goal with the title and the first line is that the essence of the story can be summed up in them.

4: Do you listen to music before and/or while you write? If so, are there any songs you think particularly fit for The Summer that Melted Everything?
While I do have a suggested playlist for books clubs for the novel, I don’t listen to music with lyrics while I’m writing because for me the lyrics compete with the words in my heads. So if/when I listen to music while writing it’s instrumental. Nothing upbeat, but really music that would make you want to paint the walls black.

5: Is there any one line or scene from The Summer that Melted Everything that you’re particularly proud of or love?

I’d say the first line: “The heat came with the devil.” It was the first line I wrote and it’s really the start of everything.

6: If there’s one thing you want readers to take away from The Summer that Melted Everything, what is it?

With my writing I don’t only aim to entertain. I also hope to create stories that engage readers in a larger conversation. One of the things I hope readers take away from The Summer that Melted Everything is that we should all remember to love each other a little more.


7: Any advice for aspiring authors?

I wrote my first novel when I was eighteen. I wouldn’t get a publishing contract until I was twenty-nine for The Summer that Melted Everything, which is my first published novel but my fifth or sixth novel written. It was an eleven year journey to publication full of rejection and perseverance. To any author still struggling on the journey to publication, I say never give up. If I had given up once on that eleven year journey, I wouldn’t be where I am today, with a book on the shelf.

8: Are you working on another book at the moment? Any other book ideas you hope to pursue in the future?

I have eight completed novels, including a poetry collection I’m currently compiling. I hope The Summer that Melted Everything does well enough in sales I get to publish again. I do have a notebook of ideas I still have to write. I always try to keep the creative wheel spinning because once it stops, you go nowhere.






An Ohio native, Tiffany McDaniel’s writing is inspired by the rolling hills and buckeye woods of the land she knows. She is also a poet, playwright, screenwriter, and artist. She is the winner of the Not-the-Booker Prize for her debut novel, The Summer that Melted Everything, which was a Goodreads Choice Award double nominee.





12 comments:

  1. Ohh, I enjoyed reading this interview. The Summer that Melted Everything is my favorite book of 2016 and I really hope it will sell well, because it would be a shame not to have opportunity to read more of McDaniel's work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you did :) Oh wow that's great, I didn't know you'd read it! I hope to soon :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful interview :) The Summer That Melted everything is in my March TBR and I have a feeling I'll really like the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Uma, glad you liked it!
      Yeah, it looks really good, doesn't it? Hope you get to read it soon :)

      Delete
  3. I hadn't heard of this book before seeing this post, so thanks for sharing! Lovely interview :D

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you enjoyed it :)
      Thanks Brittany. Hope you're having a lovely week!

      Delete
  4. Loved the questions, was a great interview! Keep up the good work Amy!
    Prabhleen @ Booksarelife987

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Glad you liked it :) Aww thanks <3
      Have a fantastic week, Prabhleen!

      Delete
  5. This was a really interesting interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad you thought so! <3

      Delete
  6. I have read The Summer That Melted Everything and I absolutely head over heels loved it! I couldn't recommend that read more than another. I do hope she publishes again because I would love to see what other works she could come up with...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I'm so glad! I really must read it :)

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)