Thursday, 9 February 2017

MISSING BOOKS - by Brian Harris

Missing Books - Brian Harris
Year Published: 2016.
Pages: 135.
Genres: Memoir.
Source:  Thank you to the author for providing me with this book in exchange for an honest review!
This is a book for the book-lover. As the author writes, ‘great and wondrous things can happen around books. Boswell met Johnson at Tom Davies’s bookshop in Covent Garden. Karl Marx planned to remodel the world in the Reading Room of the British Museum. Jorge Luis Borges conceived a universe in the form of a vast library. And as a child I spent my Sunday mornings in the Battersea Reference Library awaiting my mother’s Sunday roast.’ The loss of a library can be a catastrophe, but Brian Harris has made the most of his by inviting the reader to take a trip through the contents of his bookshelves, past and present - from children’s books to science fiction, from poets ancient and modern to ground-breaking forms of biography, from literary humour to books on life’s deeper issues.

Firstly, I just want to say that I am in love with that cover photo. (Okay, I guess it's actually a painting.)
Isn't it just gorgeous? I love the swirls of fresh, rainbow colours, and I think its warmth and beauty set the tone perfectly for this novel.


Harris is a very good writer. His intellect and incredible knowledge comes through clearly, and his style is both tender and challenging. He takes you on a satisfying, gentle, but always fascinating journey through his bookish past and present.  The facts immersed among his reflections are fascinating, rich and so, so interesting.
Admittedly, I did find some sections boring; personally I preferred some topics more than others - such as "mystery\thriller" compared to "war", for example. So while it was always interesting, I wasn't always gripped or entertained.
In addition, there were a number of grammatical errors. These were unfortunate and distracting.



Missing Books is an absorbing, fascinating, and very tenderly written memoir. I felt like I was curled up in front of the fire, sipping coffee, and listening to the author gently tell me his tale face to face. It was relaxing, comforting, and fascinating. 





6 comments:

  1. Love looking through other people's bookshelves, and especially knowing each book's significance to the person's life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then I'm positive you'll love this book :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I do like the idea of nosing around in other people's reading lives which is why I enjoy blogging and Goodreads so much but I wouldn't want to read a full book about someone's book journey unless I knew them personally. Sounds like you had some fun with it which is the main thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same :) But yeah, I totally understand that. Surprisingly that aspect didn't bother me so much with this book, though.
      Yeah, it was fun and interesting!

      Delete
  3. I love books about books and bookish people! There's something so delightfully meta about them. My favourite of the bunch is one called My Ideal Bookshelf, where the author and illustrator interview cultural icons about their book collections and then write about/paint them! Soooo cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I'm glad! Oooh I haven't heard of that one, I'll look it up :)
      Have a lovely weekend!

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)