Monday, 27 February 2017

TORN - by Cat Clarke

Torn - Cat Clarke
Year Published: 2011 - by Quercus.
Genres: Young adult / mystery / contemporary / thriller / drama / realistic fiction.
Pages: 372.
Source: Library.
Four girls. One dead body. A whole lot of guilt. Alice King isn’t expecting the holiday of a lifetime when she sets off with her classmates on a trip to the Scottish wilderness, but she’s not exactly prepared for an experience beyond her darkest nightmares… Alice and her best friend Cass are stuck in a cabin with Polly, the social outcast, and Rae, the moody emo-girl. Then there’s Tara – queen of mean. Powerful, beautiful and cruel, she likes nothing better than putting people down. Cass decides it’s time to teach Tara a lesson she’ll never forget. And so begins a series of events that will change the lives of these girls forever...

Ooooh *shivers*
I really enjoyed this book.


It wasn't a nice story in the slightest, but it was decently written and constantly entertaining. I literally could not put the book down. I was utterly gripped, terrified, and freaked out. It was vividly and intimately haunting, and the subject matter was agonising. It was a probing look into the lives of school girls made even more horrifying by the fact that they were my age. It was creepy and frightening for me to read about their experiences all the while knowing I could be in their place. It was chilling and real, and it was gut-wrenching. 
On a side note, suicide and murder were mentioned frequently. This was a very dark story.

The plot wasn't original. And the characters - while vivid - were stereotypical and predictable. Yet they moved me, and they felt real to me, and in the end the stereotypes weren't as annoying as they might have been.
The dialogue wasn't great, and the story took predictable and unoriginal turns. Still, I thought it drastically improved after the incident of Tara's death; before her death, it was much more cliche and the foreshadowing seemed forced. Afterwards, the characters became much more fully realised, and I loved seeing all their secrets come to light. It allowed me to better understand their previous actions, and I loved watching them as they revealed their true colours.

I didn't like any of the characters. I could relate to Alice a bit, and at first I rather liked the teacher, Daley, but ultimately there was no one I was rooting for; if you can put it like that. Towards the end, however, I did really grow to like Danni. She was strong and interesting, and I enjoyed seeing her true character show itself after Tara's death.
I wasn't a big fan of the romance. It was predictable, lukewarm, and boring.


I feel like I should explain to you why this review is largely negative but I'm still giving the book 4 flowers ;)
Well, I enjoyed reading it.

Torn was gripping, terrifying, entertaining and tragic. It certainly had its flaws, but I really "enjoyed" getting lost in the horrifying, gut-wrenching, dark world of teenage lies, love, insecurities, and fears.



18 comments:

  1. Wow, this one sounds pretty intense. Like Mean Girls to the extreme. I almost always want some romance in my books (no matter the genre) but it sounds like it would have been better off without it here. I might have to check my library for this one. Great review, Amy!
    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely was that. And yes, that's such a good comparison!
      Yeah it was. I hope you get to read it soon!
      Thanks :)

      Delete
  2. Gonna add it to Goodreads!! Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it's set in Scotland, great! The wilderness provides a good atmosphere for all the drama I guess.

    Ronnie @ Paradise Found

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a horrifyingly good atmosphere :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Great review, Amy! This sounds like quite a dark read though, so I'll give it a miss x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kyra!! Yeah it was; I don't really think you'd like it, either :(

      Delete
  5. Wow, it does sound dark. Glad you liked it- it certainly sounds like a harrowing read! I love it when a book has me on the edge of my seat. And isn't it funny how we can not like the characters or have issues with a book, but still rate it highly because it was just gripping to read?

    Oh and the cover jumped out at me. I felt like I had seen it before and then I remembered this book.

    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17269399-fractured

    I guess they're not THAT similar but they kinda are...it looks like this one came out first so maybe the other one was influenced by it somewhat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! Haha yeah definitely. And yes that's so true! It's weird :)

      Wow you're right! They do look very similar and that cover.....Definitely similar. I wonder what happened there.

      Delete
  6. Wow sounds like a dark creepy read! And I know what you mean..sometimes, technically we can find faults but yet enjoy the story! Pretty Little liars was such a series for me and this book sounds a lot like it! One dead girl, 4/5 suspects..Might pick it up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was! Yes so true :) Yeah it was, I guess! Good point.
      You definitely should :)

      Delete
  7. I haven't read this one yet, but I have heard a lot about it. I like that this one was so chilling and spooky. When you want a mystery kind of thriller, setting the tone and mood for the novel is so important :D I cannot wait to read this one in the future ^.^

    My recent post: http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/2017/02/tree-pose-yogi-dragonness.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to read it soon! The tone was deliciously creepy, and it was SO SO gripping :)
      Hope you're having a good week!

      Delete
  8. I read Torn a few years back, so I don't remember that much about it, to be honest, but I really loved it at that time. I loved how messed up it was, and I actually ended up feeling really sorry for the MC by the end. I have a love/hate relationship with the open ending, though. Great review!

    Veronika @ The Regal Critiques

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I'm so glad :)
      Yes so true! I felt the same :) And yes, I totally agree about the ending; I wanted more to be resolved, and I wanted to see the aftermath of Alice's decision, and I wasn't a big fan of the way it left off.
      Thank you!

      Delete
  9. I read Entangled by Cat Clarke quite a while ago and found that it was a really enjoyable read despite some issues. This sounds to be a similar case. I might have to give it a go one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed Entangled, I'm hoping to read that soon :)
      You should! It's good :)
      Have a lovely weekend!

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)