Thursday, 16 February 2017

Valentine's Week #Day3: What I Love to See in Romance



It's #Day3 of Valentine's Week on my blog (or #Day4, depending on how you look at it...) and today I'm sharing the attributes I love to see in romantic relationships!



I love it when couples physically rescue each other. But I especially love it when it goes both ways. 
I love how Hermione's intelligent enough to save Ron and Harry multiple times, but also how she's still vulnerable and that Ron gets the chance to save her too. 

Four is so protective of Tris and rescues her when she needs him; yet she's also brilliant with a gun and gets to save him many times as well.  

I do not like damsels who are constantly getting rescued by their heroes. Yes, let the guys rescue their girls, but have the girls do the same for their guys; whether it's slashing at his attacker with a sword, or simply stitching up his arm when he's stabbed.
It must go both ways. 


AH THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVOURITES. 

While I think a couple should definitely have friends outside of their relationship, I love it when they enjoy each other's company more than anyone else's and are friends first. Jim and Pam from The Office are one of the best examples of this: they were best friends before they started dating (she was engaged at the time) and even when they finally married, you could just tell how close and relaxed they were with each other. They weren't just a couple, they were friends
And I love that.  

Ron and Hermione are another example. They had their arguing and their differences, but deep down they were such good friends. When they finally admitted their feelings and got together, it was beautiful because you'd watched their journey and you'd seen their relationship grow. When they came together, it was natural and genuine.   


I strongly believe that a couple should respect each other's space and remain mature in a relationship. I can't stand guys and girls who are either sex-crazed, extremely touchy, or incapable of surviving without the other.  For example, Bella Swan was literally suicidal when Edward left her, and she was basically incapable of looking after herself. She depended too much on Edward.  

I personally love it when couples are able to have other friends outside their relationship, survive without their love being with them 24/7, and still retain their independence despite having a partner.  


I can't stand it when couples appear perfect in each other's eyes. For a relationship to be realistic, I want the boys to call their girlfriends up on their faults or at least admit they're less than brilliant in one area of their life...

Don't make them find fault with their partner every second of every day, but let girl tell the guy off if he's a terrible driver or a compulsive liar. Don't excuse behaviour just because "you're blind with love".   

And, of course, I adore it when couples are supportive of each other, too. Obviously. 
I love to see them standing together when no one else believes in them, and to see how they support and encourage each other whether it's to do with their personal interests, or their goals and aims in life.    


OK, so this is my guilty pleasure pick ;) I simply love it when couples are adorable and sweet with each other; whether it's the inside jokes, thoughtful gestures, secret smiles, wacky weirdness that only the other one understands, or something else. Some of the best examples of this are Twilight's Jasper and Alice, and Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone's Peter Parker and Gwen Stacey. The looks those couples give each other are amazing; you can tell Jasper just adores Alice's bubbly craziness, or that Peter thinks that Gwen is an adorable weirdo. 
That absolutely warms my heart.



A couple should compliment each other. One of the best examples of this - I think - is the relationship between Emma and Hook in the TV series Once Upon A Time. Hook opens her up, makes her trust again, and she makes him believe in the good man he can be. I just love it when one partner challenges the other, so that they grow and change and try new things and go out of their comfort zone
While I'm not a big fan of opposites attract, I do love it when couples have differences that "teach" the other one something. I love to see couples compliment and test each other like that. 



I could go on and on (kissing in the rain, passionate declarations of love...) but you have to stop somewhere right?! At least for a blog post ;) 

What do you like to see in a romance? Do you agree with my list?

10 comments:

  1. What a fun post! I found myself agreeing with all your points as I read along because they're what I love to see in a romance too. Friendship (best friends falling for each other, or enemies to friends); respect (guy appreciates the girl for standing strong and fighting her own battles, but also supports her when she needs it); love and good chemistry together (the sexier, the better, right?), trust and loyalty, etc. etc. Most of the books I tend to read have some sort of romance in it, lol.

    Liz at Midnight Bloom Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! Yay I'm glad :)
      So true, great points! Chemistry is definitely awesome, too ;)
      Haha same :)
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. If I had to write a list, it would probably be almost exactly the same as yours! I especially like the friendship part, as that is a big must for me when reading any romance. The whole "damsel in distress" thing bugs me as well, so having it go both ways is wonderful. It can also get pretty funny when you have the girl rescuing the guy (at least I like to make it funny sometimes when I'm writing XD)

    Great post! :D

    audrey caylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha YAY! *high five*
      Yes so true; I love friendships that evolve into romances :)
      Definitely. Haha you're right ;) It can definitely make for some amusing writing!

      Thanks Audrey! <3

      Delete
  3. Agreed with everything!! :) Wonderful post Amy! sorry I haven't been around much..Life's getting too busy :( But yes, the thing I love most in the list is friends <3 Also, telling each other what they actually think..perfection is too overrated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay that's great! Thanks Uma! Oh shame :( No worries. Hope things get back to some degree of calm soon <3
      Yes so true! Great points :)

      Delete
  4. OOOHHHH!!! I love this!! *comes to stalk blog cuz you commented on mine* ;) You write so well!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU!! <3 Haha *welcomes stalker* ;)
      Aww thanks :)

      Delete
  5. Annnnnnnnnd, I think I'm in love. ;) Yes, I agree with all of this! All of the agrees! *throws confetti*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I'm so glad you agree!<3
      *dances in confetti*

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)