Tuesday, 7 March 2017

Blogger Words: What Being A Feminist Means For Me


Tomorrow is International Women's Day, and since Wednesdays are meme days for me, I thought I'd do a personal post and share with you my stance on feminism today instead.
I'd love to hear your thoughts as well.

This post is about what feminism means for me. Feel free to share your own thoughts in the comments, but please keep the conversation friendly :)
Thanks! <3

Here are some definitions: 

Sexist: relating to or characterized by prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex.

Feminism: the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes.

--------

"For the record, feminism, by definition, is the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities. It is the theory of political, economic and social equality of the sexes."
- Emma Watson 


This is what being a feminist means for me


- I am on the side of oppressed women.
- I am on the side of abused women.
- I am on the side of disadvantaged women who are denied justice and human rights because of their gender.   
- I am against all kinds of sexism and female stereotypes in the media, workplace, home, literature, and in everyday life. 

For me, feminism is primarily about standing up for abused and oppressed women.  And it's about standing against sexist and female stereotypes, whether it be in films or the media or somewhere else.  

That is what I feel so strongly about. 

  
"I declare to you that woman must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself, and there I take my stand"
- Susan B. Anthony 

"The idea of being a feminist—so many women have come to this idea of it being anti-male and not able to connect with the opposite sex—but what feminism is about is equality and human rights. For me that is just an essential part of my identity. "
- Lena Dunham 



I hope to read more and more books about feminism during these coming months, and learn as much about women's rights as I can. Thus, my opinions will hopefully grow and develop as I grow. 

Chat with me! Are you a feminist? What does being a feminist mean for you?  

8 comments:

  1. YES. I completely agree with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't have said it better myself :D I love that quote from Emma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you, Emily :) Yeah, that quote is amazing, isn't it?!

      Delete
  3. Nicely said, love those quotes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg :) Yeah they are amazing!

      Delete
  4. Love the quotes Amy, plus this is a wonderful post! I am a fellow feminist too! *high fives* You should read The Spinster Club books by Holly Bourne, they are so feminist and I absolutely adore them! Do check them out!!
    Prabhleen @ Booksarelife987

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quotes are incredible, so glad you like them too!
      Aww thank you :)
      Yes I really want to read those books!! I am DESPERATE to read them, actually! Hopefully soon :)

      Delete

Seriously, I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Thank you Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)