Monday, 6 March 2017

FLAWED (Flawed #1) - by Cecelia Ahern

Flawed - Cecelia Ahern
Year Published: 2016 - by HarperCollins Children's Books.
Genre: Young adult / dystopia / fantasy / contemporary / romance
Pages: 402.
Source: Bought.

Celestine North lives a perfect life. She's a model daughter and sister, she's well-liked by her classmates and teachers, and she's dating the impossibly charming Art Crevan. But then Celestine encounters a situation in which she makes an instinctive decision. She breaks a rule and now faces life-changing repercussions. She could be imprisoned. She could be branded. She could be found Flawed.




Cecelia Ahern is one of my favourite authors, and for a long time I have wanted to read Flawed: her YA debut that has received glowing review after glowing review.
I was so ready to fall in love with this book and its STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL COVER. But while I didn't exactly love this book, I really, really liked it.


"I am a girl of definitions, of logic, of black and white.  

Remember this." 

(Flawed - page 1)


I absolutely adore Ahern's writing. But in this book it was taken to a whole new level; perhaps because of the subject matter. Her writing was poignant, incredibly precise, and superbly heartfelt. You could tell she meant every word; that she was pouring out her soul to her readers, urging them to open their eyes along with Celestine. But it definitely wasn't preachy. The subject was gut-wrenching and emotional and thought-provoking, but Ahern never preached; which is something that could be an obstacle when you're writing a novel with a strong political backbone.
But no. She let her characters tell the story.

I was completely immersed in Celestine's story. I could see every scene in my mind, the settings and characters were extremely vivid, and as soon as I started reading, I was one with the story. I felt like I was on Celestine's journey too, so brilliantly did Ahern get inside her character's head and yank me in too. I felt like I was experiencing what Celestine experienced, and that was both beautifully tragic and horrifying.  

It was fast-paced, chilling, gripping, and the foreshadowing was terrifying. The story was terrifying and traumatising, and I cried more than once.  The branding scene was the hardest of all; my stomach was in knots, my heart was in my throat....heck, I felt like I was in the room watching those brutes torture that poor girl. The experience was traumatising, but the writing was excellent. 

I really liked Celestine and I admired her so much. I wish I could believe that I would act like she did when faced with those obstacles, but I doubt I could be that strong. She was such a brilliant, unique, vivid, courageous heroine, and I loved her.
I liked Art at first, but only until his true colours were shown. I did feel a bit sorry for him, but I just couldn't respect or love him after seeing how he abandoned Celestine.
I loved Carrick. He was definitely a swoony hero, and I hope there'll be more romance between him and Celestine in the second book.
I loved Celestine's Granddad and her Mom, and I especially enjoyed watching her mother's arc develop and grow throughout the course of the story. She was one of the most three-dimensional characters in the book. And Granddad was simply lovable.

There were only two things in this book that I found disappointing:
I wish there had been more romance. Since Art turned out to be scum, I would've liked to have seen more scenes between Carrick and Celestine. I really missed that romantic potential, though I'm sure the sequel will focus more on that.

Considering Celestine's character, I wish there had been more "background" before Ahern got her to stand up for Flawed and thus get the story rolling. To fully understand Celestine and realise how paramount these Flawed actions were for her character, I needed to see more of  her "pre-Flawed" life. That would have let me better grasp the emphasis on her being a "girl of definitions, of logic, of black and white."  
I needed to see how perfect she was to realise how shocking her "flaws" were.  



With a taut plot, vivid characters, and a gut-wrenching and thought-provoking subject matter, Flawed gives a terrifying, chilling view of a future where mistakes are inexcusable and perfection is imperative.  
    

20 comments:

  1. OH YAY I'M SO GLAD YOU REALLY LIKED IT!! I'm so looking forward to seeing more of Carrick in Perfect and also romance <33 The writing was amazing wasn't it?? I felt so many emotions throughout!! <33 Great review Amy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I AM SO GLAD TOO!! Yeah I'm so excited, he was awesome!
      It definitely was. Ahern has an incredible way with words <3 I know right?! Me too!
      Thanks Uma!

      Delete
  2. One of my favourite books just so happens to be by the same author, Cecilia Ahern. It's called 'How to Fall In love'. Since initially reading it, I've come back to its dark cream pages and captivating story line several times.

    Upon your recommendation, it looks like I just found another one of her books to read. Thank you!

    Steph
    www.socialspying.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my word that's my favourite Ahern book too!!! HIGH FIVE! It is beautiful and amazing, isn't it? I'm so glad you love it too!

      Sure! I hope you get to read Flawed soon :)

      Delete
  3. Nice one!! Gonna add it to Goodreads right away

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I'm glad!
      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you liked this one. I just finished Perfect actually and it was even better than the first book. I loved it so much, but I'm really sad this series is over. I would have loved to read more
    Aneta @ Angelic Book Reviews 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too :)
      Yay I'm so glad to hear that!
      Ah shame :( Well I'm so happy you loved it so much; I can't wait to read Perfect :)

      Delete
  5. Sounds really good, and I am glad you enjoyed it so much. Strange how there wasn't more romance, I'd expect romance from this author.
    I don't read dystopian usually, but I wouldn't mind checking this one out!
    Great review, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was!
      Yeah I was surprised too; but I think Ahern's books are more about "finding yourself" than finding love, I guess.
      I hope you do!
      Thanks! <3

      Delete
  6. Ahh, amazing review! I so badly want to read this now - it sounds incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Kyra! Haha yeah you definitely should - I think you will LOVE it!!

      Delete
  7. I cried at the same scene too and I admit I didn't like Art at all. Carrick was definitely a favourite, my heart still feels in my throat when I think about this, I hope I can read the second book soon but I am in no rush I need to finish my tbr list first!!!
    Great review! :)

    Aneesa @ A Crave For Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was heartbreaking :( Yeah, Art was slime. But Carrick was awesome!
      Ah same. It was so vivid and real and gut-wrenching :(
      Haha good luck!
      Thank you :) <3

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you found this book engaging. I see from the comments there are quite a few fans of the series around. It's nice you can share your reading experiences :)

    Happy reading, Amy!

    Ronnie @ Paradise Found

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ronnie :) Oh yes, it really is!

      Thanks, you too!

      Delete
  9. I see we felt the same Amy :D I seriously hope the movie does it justice! So excited for Perfect.
    Shaz @ Jera's Jamboree

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *high five*
      I KNOW RIGHT?!! I really hope it does!
      I hope you get to read it soon :)

      Delete
  10. I saw that you had provided a link to this review in your recent review of the sequel, "Perfect", so I decided to check this one out. I have to tell you, Amy, that I thoroughly enjoyed reading your thoughts on this novel! What a BEAUTIFUL, INSIGHTFUL review!! Without giving that much away, you've easily conveyed your total feelings about this book! KUDOS to you!! <3 :)

    You know, the only Ahern book I've read so far is "The Gift", which I didn't like, and never finished. But your review has made me think I might give this author another chance!

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts!! HUGS!!!! <3 <3 :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Maria! *HUGS* I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

      I didn't like The Gift either, to be honest :( But you must definitely read her other works - they're MUCH better!

      Thank YOU for the lovely comment!! <3 <3

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)