Thursday, 23 March 2017

Snippets From My Writing Journal #1: Dialogue


(FYI: My journal isn't purple, like the image above. I just liked the image.)


This is a post I'm kinda stressing about because I'm putting my writing out there for everyone to see, and what's worse, it's totally unedited and very, very rough. *hyperventilates*

But I do want to show you guys what I've been doing since the start of January this year, which is: writing a page a day in a beautiful pink journal I got for Christmas. I'm not going to show you every page (that would make for a lot of embarrassing posts and some of my snippets are just cringe, to say the least) but I am going to show you the occasional one.

Even though I finished that pink journal on the 21st, I'm still keeping up the daily writing. I have another lovely turquoise journal - with even bigger pages: EEEK - so I'm still writing every day.

Since I was stressing about you all seeing my very rough work, I've decided to show you Before and After. First, there's the very rough thing that I scribbled on the 12th of Feb, and then there's the edited version I edited today. 


Without further ado.....
Context: My two characters - Ryan and Alex, from my contemporary retelling of Hansel and Gretel/Rumpelstiltskin - are going to confront someone. Alex has to confront them, and Ryan's tagging along.  

Written: 12 February 2017. 





Now - THANK GOODNESS - I did some editing:





Yes, it still needs A TON of editing, but that's it for now! 




Thanks for reading! 
Stay tuned for next week's snippet, which will be focusing on description...


Do you write? Do you keep a writing journal?  Do you find it hard to write every day? (I DO I DO I DO)

16 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this, Amy! I can feel the tension and anxiety in this scene, and it makes me want to read more! I also really love the line about Alex getting run over by a car. It made me laugh :)

    Thank you so, SO much for listing me under your "Blogs I Love" section. That's so sweet, and I'm honored! I'm not sure why the title is all lowercase... I'll try to dig around in the technical stuff on my website to see if I can fix it.

    Have a great day!
    -Caitlin @ Quills & Coffee
    www.caitlinlambert.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you, Caitlin, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Yay!

      My absolute pleasure - I love your site :)
      Thanks, you too! <3

      Delete
  2. This is awesome, Amy. Your writing is amazing. I can see you become a great author someday, publishing your own story. :-)
    I used to write short stories when I was in junior high school. I used the characters from my favorite books or movies. I don't remember why I quit, though. Oh how I miss those times. I was way creative than i am now. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such a sweet comment, Geybie <3

      That's so awesome! You should start writing again! Lol, I'm sure that isn't true ;) Try again! I'd love to see your work :)

      Delete
  3. Great job, Amy! Keep writing and keep sharing! :)

    xo
    Bobbi

    http://bobbihearts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bobbi! <3
      Have a lovely weekend :)

      Delete
  4. AMY, THESE ARE AWESOME. Don't you dare say your dialogue is horrible, because I absolutely loved it. The characters' voices were so distinct and I felt like I knew them right away. KEEP WRITING THIS AMAZING STUFF. I don't know how you balance awesome book reviews and blogging and great writing, but keep it up <3

    audrey caylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU AUDREY THAT'S SO SWEET OF YOU TO SAY <3 I'm so glad you love it, but I know it'll be a long time before I'm satisfied, lol ;)
      I am so touched, thank you! That comment seriously made my day :)
      Have a wonderful weekend! <3

      Delete
  5. Go you for writing every day! I think that's one of the keys. And I like it! I'm immediately curious as to what they're doing at the house and who they'll be confronting. And the dynamic between Alex and Ryan looks interesting. Ryan obviously likes to push Alex' buttons... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think it helps, although some days it can be such a pain! Lol.
      Thanks Greg! I'm so glad!
      Hehe yeah. That's what I was focusing on :)

      Delete
  6. Amy!! Can you believe the coincidence? I'm working on a writing post too and am extremely nervous :P And that's wonderfully written Amy! i like the humor in it too :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UMA THAT'S SO EXCITING AND COOL! I can't wait to read yours! And oh yeah, IT'S DEFINITELY SCARY!

      Thanks so much :) Yay, I'm glad! <3

      Delete
  7. Kudos to you for putting your writing out there :) And what wonderful writing it is - I would definitely want to read more! Also I like seeing the draft compared with the edited version. I really hope you do more posts like this :) Maybe one day I will be as brave as you and share some of my writing on my blog too.... one day lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you :) That means a lot.
      Oh yes you should! Lol, it is frightening, but fun at the same time. I hope you do!

      Delete
  8. I love your writing Amy - even in the first draft! I can't wait to see more of this and learn more about the characters! I hope I get to!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Di :) Eeek thanks!! Maybe..... ;)

      Delete

Seriously, I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Thank you Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)