Friday, 17 March 2017

The Blog Squad: A Blogger Collaboration - Part 5


We are a group of three book bloggers situated on different continents but brought together by our love for books and a penchant for talking about them. We’ve joined our forces to create a collaborative series of posts about book blogging and we hope you’ll enjoy the discussions.

BOOK REVIEWS BY DI - Di Hewlett



What makes you follow a blog?


There’s a huge variety of reasons that I might hit follow on a blog. Sometimes it’s because the blog owner is following my blog and I feel we have something in common so I will ‘follow back’, sometimes it’s because I’ve had a few comments on my blog from the blog owner and I want to stay in touch with what they’re posting. Without any prior contact though, the thing that will make me follow a blog the most is content that interests me. 

 I want a blog to keep me wanting to coming back - do we have the same taste in books? Do we read the same genres? Are there interesting discussion posts? Following a blog means that I will continually see notifications when there are updates etc. and I don’t want to see notifications for something that doesn’t interest me (obviously). 

 It doesn’t have to be that we read the same books - I’m connected to and follow a lot of bloggers that don’t necessarily read everything that I read nor do they read things that I would read, but we can connect on a more personal level. 

Blog layout is also definitely a factor - how easily can I find what I am looking for? Is the blog ‘easy on the eye’? It doesn’t have to be the most visually stunning masterpiece, but I don’t want to be turned off the blog because of the graphics or layout.




Ah! So many reasons for why I follow a blog! Sometimes it’s because the blogger is following me and I’m returning the favor by following back or sometimes I make friends with someone on Goodreads/ Twitter and hence decide to follow their blog. But mostly, it’s the content that makes me visit a blog again and again and eventually follow it. 

 Most of the blogs I follow have wonderful discussion posts, well written helpful reviews and interesting content basically! Also I prefer to follow blogs with good interaction and interesting conversations. 

 And as my friends have pointed out, blog layout is a factor - maybe not a big one but it’s there all the same. I’d like it if the blog loads quickly and is easy to navigate. When I’m confused by the blog’s layout, I’m not so keen to visit again. The design could be elaborate or simple or anything in between as long as it is clear and easy to navigate. 

 Also something very important, it should be easy to follow. Many a times I find a blog I really like but I can’t ‘cause I can’t find the follow button! I’d like to see some means of follow in the sidebar or the footer to make it easy!



Where do you find the blogs that you are currently following?


I find a lot of blogs from Twitter, Goodreads and other bloggers following me. I either follow using GFC Gadgets or using BlogLovin’. I try to challenge myself to visit new blogs on a weekly basis and leave a comment on a post to see if I might be able to make a new connection although this year has been a tough year for finding time to visit random blogs!



I’ve mostly found blogs via Goodreads Groups, Twitter and Instagram. I must say that Twitter group chats are a great way of meeting new bloggers and discovering similar blogs. Some really awesome blogs I’ve come across are via the comments in my blog! I’ve also discovered great blogs via Amy’s and Di’s comments too.


What makes you comment on a blog post?


There are blogs that I visit all of the time and bloggers who I’ve built a relationship with, and I’ll often just stop by their blogs when I see new posts of theirs coming up and leave a comment - just because we are ‘friends’ and I want to keep up our relationship. 

 If someone comments on my blog I will always make the effort to go back to their blog and leave a comment for them too because I totally believe in that and spreading the commenting love! 

 I love commenting either on reviews of books that I have read, want to read or just plain look interesting. I also love commenting on discussion posts that resonate with me - all the bookish stuff I love to talk about in real life!



The content. If I have views regarding the topic being discussed in the post or if I’ve read / looking forward to read the book being talked about, I would most definitely leave a comment. Sometimes, as Amy does, I leave a comment to support a new blogger. 

 I also comment on the blogs whose owners have commented on my blog. This is a part of the ‘comment back’ policy I follow! I love getting comments on my post and want to show some love to other blogs too! But yes, mostly if I’m leaving a comment on your blog, it’s because I love what you’ve written and want to show my appreciation as well as express my views.


If you'd like to read my answers, then hop over to their collab posts!


 We hope you’ve enjoyed Part 5 in our series of discussion posts! Please talk to us and let us know YOUR answers below. What do you think of our responses? If you have any specific questions you’d like us to address in the future, please let us know in the comments section below. Stay tuned for next week’s questions!

12 comments:

  1. A major reason I follow a blog is because of the content - even if we don't read the same types of books, if they have really good discussion posts or interesting personal posts, I find myself coming back to those blogs a lot. I tend to find new blogs through blogs I'm already following, like checking out the blogs of other people who are commenting on their posts.

    Great discussion, ladies! Looking forward to next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your experience, Angela, it's so interesting to hear :) I also love blogs with good discussion posts; those are the most fulfilling to visit.

      Thank you! So glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  2. Part 5 girls! We are awesome! Who run the world? Girls!! <33

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Another fabulous week! Love you ladies!!! ;-*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love following book bloggers and reading their posts. The reason for it is the same thing with the reason I started blogging actually: I don't have anyone (friends and family) to talk about books, so you can imagine how excited I was when I discovered this community, people who love the same thing. JOY. I was ECSTATIC. :-)
    So, yes, I love following anyone who love reading novels and reading in general.

    Awesome post, Di, Uma, and Amy. Keep doing it. I love and enjoy it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my word Geybie that is just what I felt like before I started a blog! I had no one to talk to about books, etc, so blogging was a life-saver! *high five*
      It definitely is JOY <3 The blogging community is amazing, and I feel so honoured to be a part of it :)
      Thank you so much for that comment, it's so awesome to hear your thoughts!

      I'm so glad you're enjoying them :) Thank you <3

      Delete
  5. I totally agree with all of this. I follow blogs because their content interests me and it's something I would want to read often.
    I don't comment on every post I read, but I do make an effort to leave a nice little comment on peoples' posts, just to keep up that relationship, and because, as a blogger myself, it makes my day to hear from other people :)

    audrey caylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear it, Audrey :) And yes, content is probably the biggest reason I follow someone, too.
      So true! And comments are so wonderful - I'm totally with you on that :)
      Have a lovely weekend! <3

      Delete
  6. Yay, keep up the amazing posts ladies <3
    I'll usually follow bloggers who are following me or when I love their posts or when they have a beautiful blog or are just inspiring to me in some way :) And for discovering new blogs I usually also check out the comments on other bloggers' posts and blog-hop that way. I do usually tend to comment to the same people, but I do try to comment at some other blogs once in a while. Comments and interaction are what makes blogging fun, so even though it's not always easy to keep up with all the amazing blogs out there, I do try my best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you're enjoying them, Lindsey <3
      That's so true, and I totally agree! Comments and interaction are awesome, and it's definitely the highlight of blogging for me :)

      Delete

Seriously, I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Thank you Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)