Monday, 24 April 2017

SIX OF CROWS (Six of Crows #1) - by Leigh Bardugo

SIX OF CROWS - Leigh Bardugo
Year Published: 2015 - by Henry Holt and Company.
Genres: Young adult / epic fantasy /
Pages: 462.
Source: Bought.

Criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker has been offered wealth beyond his wildest dreams. But to claim it, he'll have to pull off a seemingly impossible heist: Break into the notorious Ice Court (a military stronghold that has never been breached) Retrieve a hostage (who could unleash magical havoc on the world) Survive long enough to collect his reward (and spend it) Kaz needs a crew desperate enough to take on this suicide mission and dangerous enough to get the job done - and he knows exactly who: six of the deadliest outcasts the city has to offer. Together, they just might be unstoppable - if they don't kill each other first


I buddy-read this book with the awesome Di @ Book Reviews By Di, and we had such a blast with it! It was our first ever time reading Bardugo, and we were both blown away by her genius.
You can read Di's review HERE.



The writing is excellent. There's not a single flowery or purple sentence, and every sentence is so rich, deep, profound. The writing is bewitching and intelligent, and I was completely sucked into the story.
The world-building is mind-blowing and intricate. The atmosphere's vivid, haunting, and chilling, and the gritty darkness and seething mystery are constantly lurking in the shadows, making me close to begging for the hidden secrets not yet disclosed.  The plot's so tight and unpredictable, I found myself literally gaping at the plot twists; so cleverly had Bardugo swept my attention away from what she wanted me to see.  It was simply impossible to predict anything.  
It's not an easy read. It's intelligent and the plot's watertight, but it's not something you can afford to switch-off from. You have to focus and think, and I'm sure I'll be re-reading it sometime in the future to try and absorb what I'm confident I missed during this first read.

“Many boys will bring you flowers. But someday you'll meet a boy who will learn your favorite flower, your favorite song, your favorite sweet. And even if he is too poor to give you any of them, it won't matter because he will have taken the time to know you as no one else does. Only that boy earns your heart.” 

The dialogue is witty and intelligent (almost too much so...), and sparkles with subtext and vivid characterization. It's entertaining and gripping - like every aspect of the book - and certainly not without humour. And oh the humour. I frequently laughed at the dry, sarcastic wit of the characters, and such quips also offered much-needed warmth in the otherwise dark intensity of the rest of novel.

The characters. OH MY HEART. They're all so vivid and three-dimensional and diverse, and so real. My personal favourite was Inej, but as the book progressed I fell in love with all of them - for all their different strengths and weaknesses. Nina and Kaz were probably the only ones who failed to win me over entirely, but I'm sure Crooked Kingdom will change that.
There's also a wonderful female friendship between Nina and Inej, which I LOVED.
But yeah. The characters were all so beautifully broken and real, and I loved how their backstorys slowly got revealed throughout the course of the story. They were all hiding so much, and Bardugo subtly and masterfully entwined the past with the present.  

“I will have you without armor, Kaz Brekker. Or I will not have you at all.”

I only had one teensy, tiny disappointment with the book: I wanted more inner conflict between the crew. On the blurb it says "Together they just might be unstoppable - if they don't kill each other first", but I didn't see enough of that. Yes, there was tension between Matthias and Nina, but it didn't take long for them to stop going for each other's necks. I just wanted more conflict between the group.

The ending was one of the best parts in the book and I have to mention it. Without giving spoilers, let me just say that if Crooked Kingdom hadn't been within my arm's reach I quite possibly would've started screaming.  It was the most perfect, most shocking ending ever, and my shipper heart literally exploded. I ship Kaz and Inej so much it's not even funny.



You might feel completely lost at the start of the book. (That was the case with me.) But keep going, and Bardugo will shock you, stun you, squeeze your heart and leave you gasping: in the best possible way.  
The pounding action, vivid, three-dimensional characters, superb dialogue, strong morals and mind-blowing writing made Six of Crows 100% worth the hype. 


16 comments:

  1. Ahhh - STUNNING review, and wonderful reading partner too! ;)

    Thanks soooooo much for the awesome buddy read - I just LOVED chatting with you all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! 😘 Haha and same to you!!

      We had SO much fun, and I'm so glad we got to do it! I LOVED talking with you too :) *hugs*

      Delete
  2. I just LOVED this book! I agree with everything you said. It was such an intricate book and unlike anything I had read before! The writing was truly one of a kind. Crooked Kingdom messed with my emotions as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY I'm so glad!
      It definitely was one of a kind. Ah yes mine too!
      Thanks for stopping by, Emily :)

      Delete
  3. The angst between team members had put me off reading this but your review has given me hope! Probably will try this at some point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The angst really wasn't a big part of it, which I found disappointing but I'm sure you'll like. So you should definitely try it!

      Delete
  4. So cool that you liked this one :D I feel like this is one that most people will like. I'm not into heist stories, so the plot never really drew me in, otherwise I agree with everything you said! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Olivia :)
      Yeah, I understand that. I love heists, so it was my type of read I guess.
      Thanks!

      Delete
  5. YAY, so glad you loved this one! Especially since Leigh is my all-time favorite author, I'm always thrilled to see people appreciating her work :) Fabulous review! Thanks for sharing your thoughts :D

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME TOOOO! And yes, wow is she amazing. I definitely wanna read more of her work soon.
      Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Awesome review. Glad you loved this. Your review really makes me more curious about this series. I'll check it out and think about it.
    Thanks for sharing, Amy. Have a wonderful week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Geybie! Aww thanks, I really hope you do try it sometime - it was so brilliant.
      Thanks, you too :)

      Delete
  7. I like a good ensemble cast or crew of rogues and sounds like this definitely has it! Also strong world building and awesome plot twists- I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely has that! You must read it soon - it's SO worth it :)
      Thanks for stopping by, Greg!

      Delete
  8. I really, really need to read this. In fact I'm determined to get to this before summer starts! Such a great review, you've made me want to read this even more. Super glad to hear you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must, it's amazing!
      Aww thank you, I hope you get to read it really soon :)
      Me too!
      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)