Friday, 28 April 2017

The Blog Squad: A Blogger Collaboration - Part 10


We are a group of three book bloggers situated on different continents but brought together by our love for books and a penchant for talking about them. We’ve joined our forces to create a collaborative series of posts about book blogging and we hope you’ll enjoy the discussions. 

 A MAGICAL WORLD OF WORDS - AmyNikita 
BOOK REVIEWS BY DI - Di Hewlett 



What is your reading schedule like?



At the moment my reading schedule mainly consists of catching up on ARCs that I requested or was contacted about reading, Read-a-thons, and finally a couple of backlisted books/my own TBR pile when I can slot them in. 

 I’ve pretty much lined up everything that I am reading until the middle of the year keeping in mind the new releases that I’m about to be reading (ACOWAR 2 May!!!!!!!!!) and commitments that I’ve made. 

 I do leave wiggle room in my schedule for unexpected items and books that I just HAVE TO HAVE but my actual goal is to keep a ratio of - 
-  1 review book from a publisher or author 
- 1 new release book for myself (these two could be the same book if I’m lucky with ARCs) 
- 1 backlisted book from my own TBR. 



Right now my reading schedule is pretty much unpredictable as my semester exams are going on! I’m working through a couple of books this month but keeping it light. Hopefully I’ll have more free time next month and I can catch up on my Goodreads Challenge (I’m currently 15 books behind!!)

There are some series I’m really excited about starting finishing (hopefully) in the summer holidays! Namely, The Mortal Instruments (I’m FREAKING EXCITED about this one!), and Six of Crows (I’M EVEN MORE EXCITED ABOUT THIS ONE)



How much pressure do you put on yourself to meet your bookish goals?



Probably too much? Although I’m learning to let go a little more. I like to review ARCs before release date if possible and I really try to get reviews back to authors about a month after I receive their books, but I have to admit that I fail dismally at that sometimes. My reading schedule was so jam packed last year and I’m still catching up on review copies for past releases that I’ve received from Indie Authors. 

 My Goodreads challenge this year has just been dismal - I’ve been aiming to hit the 100 book mark for 2017 and all year I’ve been behind. I’m currently behind by 8 books while I’m doing this post. I know I can reduce this number but the fact of the matter is that I’d actually LIKE to hit 100 books (it is called a challenge!) and I need to know where I’m at with that if I am really going to try make the effort to hit that goal. While 100 books might not be a lot for a lot of book bloggers out there when I’m hardly picking anything up under 400-450 pages and I’m busy with a young family AND a full time job it is a LOT for me.



So i used to put A LOT of pressure on my reading goals! I’d even make pretty impossible goals and push myself to go get them! Of late I’ve learned to let go of that...or more like forced to let go of that due to exams and more academic stuff. Whatever the reason maybe, I’m glad to have slowed down. When I put too much pressure, reading starts to feel like work and there’s no fun in that is there?

 But I still do care about my Goodreads Challenge on which I’m currently A LOT behind. But hopefully I’ll catch up to that! I think it’s absolutely okay to have bookish goals as long as they don’t drag you out of your comfort zone. Books = Comfort , so trying to read books just for the sake of numbers at the cost of comfort is no fun.



How has blogging changed your reading habits?



I’m definitely a more analytical reader now and I find myself stopping to take notes here and there when I remember to.

 I also think I read less than I used to! #sadbuttrue Not all my own free time can be dedicated just to reading - there’s the blog to manage, other blogs to visit, posts to prepare and social media to stalk.

My TBR pile is also way more out of control because blogging has led me to visit so many other awesome blogs and read so many amazing reviews of books that I might not have considered in the past!



Blogging has definitely changed the way I read. Back before I started blogging, I read purely for entertainment value. Now I’ve started looking at books with a more critical eye and started seeing things I’d ignored before. Before I started blogging, I didn’t even know how important diversity in books are, how sexist some books were and such. After starting to blog and exploring the bookish community on the internet I’ve learnt so much! 

 Also since I started blogging I’ve started prioritizing my TBR pile a lot differently than I used to. Earlier it was about books I wanted to read the most but now i have to take into consideration ARCs, review copies and make sure I’m posting reviews close to the publishing date. This has of course caused my TBR pile to explode but oh well, no one said blogging was easy :P


If you'd like to read my answers, hop over to their collab posts! : 





 We hope you’ve enjoyed Part 10 in our series of discussion posts! Please talk to us and let us know YOUR answers below. What do you think of our responses? If you have any specific questions you’d like us to address in the future, please let us know in the comments section below. Stay tuned for next week’s questions!

10 comments:

  1. I don't put a lot of pressure on myself to meet my bookish goals, because I don't really have that many! I have the Goodreads challenge, but that's more of an arbitrary number. I'm participating in a Backlist Reader challenge this year, so I do want to finish that, but I'm been pretty good about reading the books for that - it also helps that I kept my goal pretty low!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha same, Angela!
      Yay that's awesome! Hope you manage to keep it up :) Lol, good point!
      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. I think I've said this a lot on your blog, Amy, but you book reviewers are AMAZING. I don't know how you you read so many books and write such amazing reviews! I've recently started reading a lot more myself, but I'm too afraid to start a Goodreads challenge because I know I'll try to finish it early and be stressed out. Oops xD

    Keep up the great work!

    audrey caylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Audrey that comment seriously made my day, thank you! <33
      Lol, I know that feeling ;) I'm afraid I've been too ambitious with mine...

      Thank you!! <33

      Delete
  3. Awesome discussion Di, Uma and Amy!! Wow, I love it. :)
    I've never had a reading schedule yet. I read what I love and what I'm in the mood for, hence, there are a lot of last minute changes. This is the reason why I don't request or receive many ARCs/review copies and haven't joined netgalley yet. I'm planning to join one day, though, but I'm not ready now. I'm afraid I wouldn't keep up with the tight schedule.
    I have a goal to at least publish three book reviews/discussion posts a week but sometimes I didn't manage. It was hard when life gets in the way. Seriously, blogging has been a very time consuming and I'm still learning the best way to handle it. I don't want to get burned out at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Geybie, so glad you enjoyed it!
      Great points you made there, thanks so much for sharing. And yes, blogging is definitely time consuming. You're sensible not to request too many ARCs, etc - I wish I had that much restraint!
      Thanks for the lovely comment :)

      Delete
  4. I don't put too much pressure on myself reading- wise and since I don't get many ARC's that pressure is not really there, which I like- I'm a mood reader so I don't plan ahead too far. But I do feel some just as an account of blogging- after all you have to get reviews up! :)

    And I do think I spend more time visiting blogs than reading, but I can't help it I just like doing it. Plus half my reads come from seeing them on other blogs lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great way to do it, Greg, I'm glad that works for you :) Lol, true!

      Haha I can definitely relate to that. Blog hopping takes SO much time, as well. Lol :)

      Delete
  5. Wow, already at part TEN :)
    Blogging has definitely changed my reading habits! But mostly in that I've been reading a lot more since I've been blogging and that my TBR has grown exponentially :) I also feel more guilty when I'm behind on my reading goals or just haven't been reading as much. But I'm trying not to let it get to me and just go with the flow - read when I want to read and don't force myself either. Still working on it, but getting there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eep I know!
      That's a great way to do it - less stress on yourself is definitely best, and I hope it gets easier :) Thanks so much for sharing that, Lindsey!

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)