Wednesday, 26 April 2017

Waiting on Wednesday #30: GIRLHOOD - by Cat Clarke


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme originally hosted by Breaking the Spine and now taken over by Wishful Endings that highlights upcoming book releases we're excited to read. On my blog, I include movies as well.


Publication Date: 4th May 2017. 

Harper has tried to forget the past and fit in at expensive boarding school Duncraggan Academy. Her new group of friends are tight; the kind of girls who Harper knows have her back. But Harper can't escape the guilt of her twin sister's Jenna's death, and her own part in it - and she knows noone else will ever really understand. But new girl Kirsty seems to get Harper in ways she never expected. She has lost a sister too. Harper finally feels secure. She finally feels...loved. As if she can grow beyond the person she was when Jenna died. Then Kirsty's behaviour becomes more erratic. Why is her life a perfect mirror of Harper's? And why is she so obsessed with Harper's lost sister? Soon, Harper's closeness with Kirsty begins to threaten her other relationships, and her own sense of identity. How can Harper get back to the person she wants to be, and to the girls who mean the most to her? A darkly compulsive story about love, death, and growing up under the shadow of grief

I've only read one of Clarke's books before (Torn) but I SO enjoyed it! I loved her entertaining story, gripping writing and the vivid characters, and this book looks equally brilliant.  I also really like the idea of a boarding school environment - somehow that just seems to have more potential for darkness and mystery and secrets...

The cover's also really awesome. Like, "pretty but with an edge", if that makes sense.




Anyone else excited for Girlhood?


27 comments:

  1. That's a new to me one! Doesn't sound like my kind of read but I do hope you thoroughly enjoy it once you read it!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jessica!
      Visited yours :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard of this one before, but it sounds so eerie and creepy - and you're right, the boarding school setting really adds to that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, right?! It looks so mysterious!

      Delete
  3. This sounds interesting! I used to love YA books set in boarding schools. Nowadays you don't find many anymore. I hope you enjoy this book when you get the chance to read it!

    Have a lovely week, Amy. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does! Oh cool that's interesting :) And yeah, you're right - there seem to be less of them around now.
      Thank you!

      Thanks, you too :)

      Delete
  4. I've never read anything by Cat Clarke before, but this one sounds pretty interesting. Hope you enjoy it! (Oh and I agree with you about that cover too.)

    My WoW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should read Torn, I thought it was really good :)
      Thank you!

      Visiting yours now...

      Delete
  5. I completely love the cover as well! I don't know if the story is necessarily for me, but I hope you love it Amy. :) Thanks for stopping by my WoW earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never read this author, but I've had terrible luck with boarding school stories; they're just not for me. I hope you enjoy this one when you read it -- maybe you can convince me to give it a try ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no I'm sorry about that :( But thank you! Haha hopefully ;)

      Delete
  7. I haven't heard of this one before, but I absolutely love the synopsis, it sounds really interesting. I hope you enjoy this one when it comes out :)
    Aneta @ Angelic Book Reviews 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I'm so glad :) And it does look very interesting.
      Thanks Aneta :)

      Delete
  8. That is an edgy cover, especially with that tagline! And I love the sound of this too- maybe just a bit creepy? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?! Haha just a bit ;)
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Greg!

      Delete
  9. Wow! This book looks interesting! Great pick!

    Here’s my WoW!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does! And thanks!
      Visited yours :)

      Delete
  10. I haven't heard of this one but I am intrigued to say the least!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear that :)
      Thanks for stopping by, Amber!

      Delete
  11. (I deleted my previous comments because of typos....lol.)

    I haven't heard of this one before. it sounds very intense! However, I don't read LGBT romance novels,so I'll pass. Hope you enjoy it, though!! <3 <3

    Thanks for visiting and commenting on my "Can't Wait Wednesday" post!! HUGS!!! <3 <3 :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I wanted to clarify this comment. I do read books with LGBT characters in them, but not books where such characters have a romance.

      Delete
    2. I'm exactly the same, Maria. And I didn't realise this was a romance LGBT book! Duh, lol ;) Can't believe I didn't realise that! I might still read it, but it depends how "in your face" the romance is.
      HUGS! <3 <3

      Delete
    3. Exactly! Oh, I'm SO glad you understand! I have nothing against LGBT characters. It's just that I would not be interested in reading such a romance, just as I'm sure people who identify as LGBT would not be at all interested in heterosexual romance. Thanks!!! HUGS!!! <3 <3

      Delete
  12. This is actually my first time hearing about this book, so thanks for sharing :) I hope you enjoy reading it!

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)