Monday, 10 July 2017

CARVE THE MARK - by Veronica Roth

CARVE THE MARK - Veronica Roth
Published: 2017 - by Katherine Tegen Books.
Pages: 468.
Genres: Young adult / romance / science fiction / dystopia /
Source: Thank you so much to Jonathan Ball Publishers SA for sending me an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review!
In a galaxy powered by the current, everyone has a gift. Cyra is the sister of the brutal tyrant who rules the Shotet people. Cyra’s currentgift gives her pain and power — something her brother exploits, using her to torture his enemies. But Cyra is much more than just a blade in her brother’s hand: she is resilient, quick on her feet, and smarter than he knows. Akos is the son of a farmer and an oracle from the frozen nation-planet of Thuvhe. Protected by his unusual currentgift, Akos is generous in spirit, and his loyalty to his family is limitless. Once Akos and his brother are captured by enemy Shotet soldiers, Akos is desperate to get this brother out alive — no matter what the cost. The Akos is thrust into Cyra's world, and the enmity between their countries and families seems insurmountable. Will they help each other to survive, or will they destroy one another?


DISCLAIMER: This book has been called out for being problematic, including being racist towards members of the indigenous community and to people of North African heritage. It has also been said to be ablest to people who experience chronic pain. Since I do not belong to any of these groups, I cannot comment on these issues. I can only comment on my honest opinions on the book. If you are a member of any of these communities, please be mindful when reading this book and be sure to read reviews from people who belong to these groups. 
- Taken from Emily @ Paperback Princess (with her permission).


I'm not a big Divergent fan. I read the books years ago and only remember being extremely bored. (I'm definitely due for a re-read). But although I didn't have much of an opinion on Roth's writing and I'm not mad on sci-fi, I was drawn to the apparent uniqueness of this book and it's gorgeous cover. If anything, I expected to hate it.
But I ended up loving it.



It's so well written. The writing flows like the currentstream (you have to have read the book to understand that reference ;) and it's just as painful and profound. The start of the book is very confusing and slow, but if you can get past the first 100 pages or so, the rest of the book is thrilling and gripping.
There are boring, slow sections throughout the story. But these are the exception, and it's worth sticking with them to enjoy the brilliantly choreographed action sequences and gorgeous exchanges between the main characters that come next.
It's an incredibly cruel and brutal world. There are awful scenes of torture and gut-wrenching tragedy, and the villains are cold and violent. It's a twisting, unsettling story in many places, but also one full of hope.

I found the world-building and plot lacking. The atmosphere's deathly chilling and creepy, but I felt like all the stuff about the oracles and the currentstream and the way the society worked needed more explaining. More questions needed to be answered.
The plot isn't amazing either. It's hard to follow, and the scenes often jump around; especially towards the start. It's also a tiny bit predictable.

The only thing I can say I actually hate about the book, is how it seems to glorify self-harm. The title gives that away if you think literally, and to read about how Cyra (and during one occasion Akos) uses a knife to cut into her arm to inflict "kill marks" upon herself whenever she kills someone - as a punishment - just doesn't sit well with me. It's unsettling, but more importantly I think it's glorifying self-harm.
“Soft hearts make the universe worth living in.”
“You want to see people as extremes. Bad or good, trustworthy or not. I understand. It's easier that way. But that isn't how people work.”
“This body had carried me through a hard life. It looked exactly the way it was supposed to.”

The characters carry the book more than anything else. Cyra, Akos and Ryzek are vivid and compelling, and I loved the depth of Cyra and Akos. They're an amazing hero and heroine, contrasting each other perfectly and each with the right amount of brokenness, bravery, and depth. I loved Cyra more than anything else; she's so compelling and clever, and is the perfect example of someone most people tend to underestimate.
I loved all the family dynamics. They're gut-wrenching, shocking, and Ryzek and Cyra's relationship is horrific, but I personally love family drama and conflict and this book does an excellent job of portraying both the good and the bad of a family - especially the complicated relationships between siblings.

The romance is one of the best romances I've read in a long time. It's a gentle slow-burn, a meeting of equals who mutually respect each other, and it's more about relationship than kissing and physical intimacy. Although...the physical romance scenes are so beautiful and swoony and hot, as well - in the most natural, gentle, loving way ever.
I SHIP THIS COUPLE.



Carve the Mark is a thrilling, engrossing story heated with gut-wrenching tragedy, pounding action, and irresistible romance. The plot and world-building aren't great, but the characters more than make up for it.


16 comments:

  1. Really enjoyed reading your review, Amy. I haven't read this one but I actually felt bad for Roth at the level of backlash this one received. It felt like once a few voices were raised with negative comments everyone else took up the battle cry and the book didn't have a chance. I'm actually surprised the GR rating is as high as it is after all the controversy. I really like your descriptions of the characters and the family dynamics. And I do love a good slow burn romance! :) Great review, Amy!

    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tanya, I'm so glad :)
      That's so true, I wondered that myself. I feel bad for her, and personally I didn't notice the racism.
      Then I think you'll love it! And thank you!

      Delete
  2. I'm happy you liked this book as I did! I thought it was slow at the beginning first, but it really made up for it in the characters and how well-written they actually were. It didn't feel like a boring sci-fi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily!
      Yeah so true :) Exactly!

      Delete
  3. In general, I have found that Roth's world-building is usually pretty vague and not well described. But I'm glad that you enjoyed this one!

    ~Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that :( But yeah, you could be right.
      Thanks Brittany! Me too :)

      Delete
  4. You know I wasn't actually ever going to read this book, with all the controversy surrounding it. I didn't want to support a book that is problematic, but I myself don't belong to any of the communities. There's a part of me that doesn't want to read the book because of it's apparent problems, but another part of me is really curious. While the world building is lacking and the first 100 pages pretty slow, I adore a slow burn romance and the synopsis really draws me in. I just might have to give this one a go and see for myself! Great review Amy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also thought that myself. And I totally see what you're saying, too.
      Hope you do read it and enjoy it, Genni! And thank you :)

      Delete
  5. I actually loved Divergent and was excited for this, but the backlash put me off. Now, you`re review is giving me mixed feelings. Because I don`t want to condone racism and other problematic aspects, but at the same time I`m curious about it.

    http://www.carmensreadingcorner.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you did! Yeah I felt that myself too :(
      True. It's a difficult decision.
      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  6. I adored Divergent and the trilogy is very close to my heart, so I'm so excited to read this! I have a feeling I'm going to really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! Hope you love it! I think you will ;)

      Delete
  7. I was one of those people who enjoyed Divergent and that includes the ending! So of course, I do intend to read this novel as well. I am also so curious because of the problematic issues surrounding it. I am curious to know what my own opinion on that matter will be. I've seen a lot of negative reviews, so I am glad to have read your positive one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great!
      You should read it - I definitely think it's worth it. And I'd love to know your thoughts :)

      Delete
  8. Oh! I can't believe I missed this one.

    I've read so many reviews for this one and most of them were negative and it looks like this one was very up and down for you too. I do love that the romance and the characters were good but there do sound like quite a few issues are also there...

    I have this one tentatively on my TBR and you've definitely made me want to try it more! I'll keep in mind the slow start...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah same. There were issues, but I thought the characters and romance were excellent.

      Haha yay! You should!

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)