Tuesday, 22 August 2017

SEVEN DAYS OF YOU - by Cecilia Vinesse

SEVEN DAYS OF YOU - Cecilia Vinesse.
Published: 2017 - by Hachette Children's Group.
Genres: Young adult / contemporary / romance /
Pages: 304.
Format: Paperback.
Triggers/Content Advisory: Themes and incidents involving sex, drugs, and alcohol. Severe bad language.
Source: Thank you so much to Pan Macmillan SA for sending me this book in exchange for an honest review.
Sophia has seven days left in Tokyo before she moves back to the States. Seven days to say good-bye to the electric city, her wild best friend, and the boy she’s harbored a semi-secret crush on for years. Seven perfect days…until Jamie Foster-Collins moves back to Japan and ruins everything. Jamie and Sophia have a history of heartbreak, and the last thing Sophia wants is for him to steal her leaving thunder with his stupid arriving thunder. Yet as the week counts down, the relationships she thought were stable begin to explode around her. And Jamie is the one who helps her pick up the pieces. Sophia is forced to admit she may have misjudged Jamie, but can their seven short days of Tokyo adventures end in anything but good-bye?


Prepare to meet one of the most fantastic chick-flicks of the year. I adored this book and you should too ;)


The writing's excellent. It's fast-paced, entertaining, witty, and I loved Sophia's sassy narrative voice. I was constantly laughing out loud. The dialogue is brilliant, snappy, and flows and sparks like the wit of a teen TV show flick. It's delicious.
Vinesse is also an incredibly perceptive writer, and her observations of the characters and circumstances are relatable and perfectly acute.
The only disappointing thing about the writing is the bad language. There're frequent F words and blasphemy, and it's disgusting.

But where this book really shines is in its impeccable vividness. Every scene is effortlessly easy to imagine, and it is exceptionally tangible: bursting with the rich culture and with every sight, smell, and taste leaping off the page. It's immersive in every form of the word.
The descriptions were my favourite aspect of the book. I was utterly soaked in the stimulating atmosphere, scenes, and Japanese culture.

“It might not be distance or time that takes you away from people. Maybe you decide when you let them go. But I can't let go yet.”

“You’re terrifying the way a book is right before it ends. You know? When you have to put it down because it’s too much to take in at once. You are the most terrifying person I know.”


The story's fast paced and very entertaining. The plot points are quite weak, but it's still a delightful story that's hopelessly romantic and well-told. I was never bored. But the plot isn't particularly substantial.

Like the rest of the book, the characters are well imagined and vivid. I didn't love any of them (except Caroline) but they're all very human and three-dimensional and interesting. There're also some great, dynamic relationships, and they're complicated and realistically messy.  I especially loved the growth of Sophia's relationship with her sister, Alison.
But I did long for more closure in regards to some of the relationships; specifically between Jamie and his parents, and Sophia and her friends. I was unsatisfied about those at the end of the book.
Another thing I didn't like was how immoral the characters were (not so much Sophia, but her friends). They sleep around, they're crude, they frequently get drunk...It's dirty and repulsive.

The romance is sweet. I didn't love it because I never really liked Jamie (nothing personal, he just never won me over) but there's chemistry between him and Sophia, and I liked how he brought out the best in her. But I was never shipping them passionately.



Seven Days of You is a delightful, engaging romantic flick with strong characters and stunning, evocative writing. You'll be utterly swept away. 
But the immorality and bad language are terrible.


10 comments:

  1. "Flows and sparks like the wit of a teen TV show flick" Amy, you've just sold me with that line! The writing sounds amazing, and that's awesome that the characters are so dynamic and well developed. That's too bad about the language though. I've had that happen to me before with books, and it really tends to detract from the *big* picture. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you, and I'm so glad!
      Yeah true :( It was a pity.
      Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I really like books with snappy conversations, so that's what piqued my interest in your review!
    I'll add it to my TBR, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book definitely has that!
      Great :)

      Delete
  3. Great review! In depth descriptions of the characters and Japan have me wanting to check this book out. Thanks for the heads up. New follower to your blog. Nice to meet you. I look forward to reading more of your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Oh thanks, it's great to meet you too :) I'm gonna check out YOUR blog now!

      Delete
  4. I agree. Such a sweet romance, and I loved touring the city with our MCs. I wished for a little more at the end (I need closure!), but I did think it was a hopeful ending. Great review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True :) And yeah, it was hopeful.
      Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Wonderful review. I cringe when F bombs are frequent in a story too, never mind blasphemy. But it does sound like a great story, and I love descriptiveness that has you seeing what the characters see and smelling things as well. Thanks for bringing this one to my attention. Adding it to my pile :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Yeah same :( But the story was cool, and the descriptiveness was lovely.
      Yay! Hope you love it!

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)