Saturday, 26 August 2017

SILVER BLOOD (Series of Blood #1) - by Emma Hamm

SILVER BLOOD - Emma Hamm
Published: 2016.
Pages: 274.
Genres: Young adult / fantasy / fae / romance
Format: eBook.
Triggers/Content Advisory: Some sensual scenes and fantasy violence.
Source: Thank you so much to the author for sending me this book in exchange for an honest review.
A PROPHECY TO FULFILL Two hundred years ago, our world changed forever. Two realms combined in an explosion of magic. One morning everything was normal and the next? Every human body was host to another magical creature who had thoughts and a mind of its own. However, with power comes darkness. Someone wants to wipe this earth clean and will stop at nothing to consume it. SHE IS NOT A HERO Or so she thought. Wren had grown up with another voice in her head but had never considered herself magical. She doesn't have the talents other people have. She certainly doesn't have the abilities anyone else has. But she is charming and manages her business quite well. She deals in emotions and makes people happy. It's a simple life, but it's hers. HE THINKS SHE COULD BE Burke was a bodyguard first and always. He had been sent to collect her and deliver her in person to the most powerful creatures in their world. But the moment he steps through the broken door of her shop, his world changes forever. She's strange. She's uncomfortable. And she's so damned beautiful. He is convinced she is part of a prophecy that can save their world. But how to convince her?


For a debut, this book is amazing. And if you love unique fantasy, you need to start reading it now.


The best thing about this book is that it's incredibly unique and imaginative. And not in the silly, abstract way that makes you think "wut the heck is going on this is so weird I can't understand why it's been published"; no. Silver Blood is a riveting, refreshing debut that stands out in the sea of independently published YA novels.

The atmosphere is electrifying and the imagery vivid. The world building is deftly spun, and Hamm gently whispers it to spellbinding life. The writing's strong, but occasionally the narration is clumsy and awkward. There's also a lot of telling - primarily at the start of the book - and the beginning also suffers from very tedious info-dumping. But that does fade as the story progresses.

The story is constantly entertaining. It's fast-paced, unpredictable, intelligent, and tightly plotted. The descriptions are deeply evocative, and the dialogue is witty, characterising, and compelling. It's fantastic.

                        “Come with me," he said fiercely. "I will keep you safe."--------------- "How can you?" The whisper sounded like a scream to his ears.


Wren is a lovely heroine. She's vulnerable, spunky, capable, independent, and doesn't let anyone push her down. When Burke does an undoubtedly unacceptable thing by coming in while she's bathing, she doesn't excuse his behaviour and instead demands an explanation, all the while letting him know he's done an inappropriate thing. In a world where YA heroes constantly get away with inexcusable things because the heroines are too awed by their hotness and secretly turned on, it's awesome that Wren sticks by her guns and lays the blame where it belongs in situations like these: on the guy. And to Burke's credit, he respects her boundaries.
But I don't like how Wren spent the last quarter of the book. I can't give spoilers, so I'll just say that she's reduced to an incapable damsel. As much as I felt sorry for her, it did mean Burke got to do the rescuing and basically save the day, and I don't like that Wren was so incapacitated and docile. I wanted her to have a big part in saving herself.

The secondary characters are equally compelling. I love Jasper and Lyla and how original and three dimensional they are, and I also like the depth of Burke and Pitch's characters.
But I do wish the villain had been as fleshed-out.

The romance is very swoony and sweet and I especially enjoyed the dream sequences between Burke and Wren. But I don't like how Burke was frequently overprotective - he respects Wren, certainly, but his protectiveness frequently becomes too much. That leaves me undecided about the romance.
Otherwise, however, Burke compliments Wren's character well.



Silver Blood is a beautifully crafted and utterly unique fantasy, dazzling in its characters and world-building. While I didn't always like the romance and where the story found Wren towards the end, it's an entertaining, clever, and marvelous debut that I highly recommend.


12 comments:

  1. OMG I've never heard of this book but it looks fantastic! Definitely adding this to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY I'm so glad you like the look of it!

      Delete
  2. This sounds like something I would definitely enjoy! thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting review, I haven't come across this book before I feel as though the cover is a bit 'typical' which is a shame, but the two main characters sound like fun!

    Deborah @ Hills of Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were fun!
      Thanks for stopping by, Deborah :)

      Delete
  4. Ooh this sounds interesting! Haven't heard of this before. Will look out for it in bookstores!
    Laila
    www.lailabee.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely was! Yay, hope you find it :)

      Delete
  5. Sounds pretty good, and that cover always gets me. LOVE IT! I like the sound of Wren too, although the damsel bit towards the end might bug me too. How about she rescues him? Ha ha nice review, I may get this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah the cover is cool :)
      Lol, I totally agree!
      Thanks :) Hope you do.

      Delete
  6. YES! I'm glad you really enjoyed this one as well! I have the second book lined up and ready to read... I just need to slot it in... This might be calling for a BUDDY READ! :) If you're going to go with the second one that is. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me toooooo!!
      HA a buddy-read! Definitely like the sound of that.....I've got the other books lined up ;) But let's do Roar first!

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)