Tuesday, 5 September 2017

SCARLET (The Lunar Chronicles #2) - by Marissa Meyer

SCARLET - Marissa Meyer.
Published: 2013 - Feiwel and Friends.
Pages: 454.
Genres: Young adult / romance / sci-fi / fantasy / fairy tale retelling
Triggers/Content Advisory: Fantasy violence and mild sensuality.
Format: Paperback.
Source: Bought.
Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. The police have closed her case. The only person Scarlet can turn to is Wolf, a street fighter she does not trust, but they are drawn to each other. Meanwhile, in New Beijing, Cinder will become the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive – when she breaks out of prison to stay one step ahead of vicious Queen Levana. As Scarlet and Wolf expose one mystery, they encounter Cinder and a new one unravels. Together they must challenge the evil queen, who will stop at nothing to make Prince Kai her husband, her king, her prisoner . . .

I am floating on a marshmallow cloud of giddy fangirl. I didn't think Scarlet could be better than Cinder, but it is and it's amazing and I love it so completely that I lowered my 4.5 rating of Cinder to 4 because Scarlet made see my opinions in perspective.
Gosh this book is fantastic.


Looking at her word choice and sentence structure, I think Meyer's writing is pretty unremarkable. But her storytelling is so on point that that eclipses any doubts I may have had of her skill, and I found myself absolutely in love with her story even though I didn't love her writing style.

“I knew they would kill me when they found out, but…” He struggled for words, releasing a sharp breath. “I think I realized that I would rather die because I betrayed them, than live because I betrayed you.”

And what a story it is. Perfect pacing, tons of action that left my heart spinning, and an excellent, tight plot. Seriously, Meyer plots like a genius; her pacing is flawless, and her plot points and arcs are brilliant. Considering there're three different stories running along side each other in this book, it's a wonder she manages to handle it the way she does: all the information is carefully weaved into the right places at the right times, and Meyer balances it all superbly. There's also the fact that I think I can say I love the most about her plotting: Meyer's constantly forcing her characters into corners, forcing them to make impossible decisions and ensuring that they work for what they want to do. This only heightens the stakes, the power of the story, and everything's immediately more magnificent.

I also love how much more of the Lunar world we got to see. Wolf and Scarlet's journey takes them through France, and I got to see a whole new side of the world and the people that live there.  There's still a lot of unanswered questions regarding the actual origin of the world, but I expect those'll be answered in the next book.

The humour is brilliant. I laughed out loud, I frequently couldn't stop smiling, and the wit is just delicious. Horror, humour, swoon, and heartache are all perfectly balanced, but the humour is the best part. Not to mention the dialogue; oh my gosh I love the dialogue. Each character's voice comes through clearly and the words crackle with wit, realism, and personality. Absolutely masterful.

“We met less than a week ago and in that time I've done nothing but lie and cheat and betray you. I know. But if you give me a chance...all I want is to protect you. To be near you. For as long as I'm able.”

“A relieved grin filled up Thorne’s face. “We’re having another moment, aren’t we?”   “If by a moment, you mean me not wanting to strangle you for the first time since we met, then I guess we are.”


I love the characters. They all leap off the pages vivid and bursting with personality. And as much as I like and admire Cinder and Kai, they utterly pale in comparison to Scarlet, Wolf (a.k.a my new book boyfriend #1) and Thorne (a.k.a my new book boyfriend #2). I adore Scarlet's fierceness, her recklessness, and her equally intense vulnerability. Cinder has this amazing quiet strength, but I loved seeing Scarlet's hot-headed bravery for a change. She's such a fiery, independent heroine.

The boys are beyond awesome. Wolf is a dark, sexy anti-hero with a beautifully vulnerable side, and I absolutely love him and Scarlet together (new favourite ship #1). I love how intensely protective they are of each other - even if it's more complicated than that......#spoiler.

NOW let me talk about Thorne. The guy reminds me of Nikolai from the Grisha trilogy, and he's just as sassy, adorable, swoony, flirtatious and sexy. I love the relationship he has with Cinder and how he's always flirting with the women they meet and going on about his charm and god looks. And yeah, he has something to talk about because he is amazing. I laughed so much at his actions and quips, and from his very first appearance in the story I fell in love in him. I cannot wait to see more of him in Cress!



Scarlet is an exhilarating, fun, and spellbinding story with thrilling, vivid characters and spectacular relationships. It has everything: humour, romance, action, and tragedy - all perfectly balanced.
You'll completely lose yourself in the story and never want to leave.


Cinder

14 comments:

  1. Winter is my favourite, can't wait to hear what you think of that one. This is a great review, thank you for sharing your thoughts. And yes it's perfectly balanced!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I'm so excited for Winter, too! So happy you loved it!
      Thank you :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds interesting! I'll have to give this series a try. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

    -Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should! It's amazing.
      Thanks for stopping by, Jackie :)

      Delete
  3. Your reviews make me want to read this series again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked Cress even better than Scarlet! So curious if you'll like it just as much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! I can't wait for that one!

      Delete
  5. It's interesting how you note that the writing is unremarkable but it's the storytelling that is the read star. I so need to move this series up my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I noticed :)
      You do! It's so amazing and I'm sure you'll love it!

      Delete
  6. So happy to hear you enjoyed Scarlet! I loved it so much more than Cinder and actually every book in this series just got better and better to me :) And you're so right with the Thorne and Nikolai comparison! Guess that's why they're two of my favorite characters ;) Hope you'll enjoy Cress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lindsey, me too!
      Ah that's so good to hear. I can't wait to read the others.
      Haha with you on that ;)
      Thanks!

      Delete
  7. WOLF IS MY ALL. Everyone who keeps tearing up about Thorne can have him. I really only want Wolf for myself. Hence why he is my favourite character and this is my fave in the series. But really, the next book features Thorne a lot more so you're gonna love that one. And the books keep being just as amazing as this. I promise :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! I love him too, though - like, big time. So we just might have to fight over him... ;)
      Yay more Thorne! Can't wait!
      Thanks for the comment :) <3

      Delete

I cannot even begin to say how much I appreciate your comments. THANK YOU for taking the time to say a quick hello or comment on my review/post. I appreciate every single word from you. Xx
I reply to EVERY comment I receive. Because I'm using the Blogger comment system, you won't know I've replied unless you check back to the original post. But just know....I will always reply to you :)